[NFBCS] MacOS VoiceOver Notifications Center, Air Drop and Reminders

charles.vanek at gmail.com charles.vanek at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 18:11:31 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand how Mac notification center works.  I'm an
infrequent Mac user and have always had some trouble with notifications
center both on OS 10 and now 11 Big Sir.

It seems to me that the Notifications window with Reminders for example
stays up on the screen in front.  That notifications window doesn't close
with Command Q or W like other windows.  It's also not in the Command Tab
list.  I do know it can be accessed via Control + Option + N.  But some
times have a hard time getting rid of it.  This is most annoying if I'm
trying to share a screen on something like Zoom, people on the other end see
the rectangle of it blocking their view.

I've also experienced where that window will suddenly and unexpected take
over the position of the VoiceOver cursor.  Even if I Control + Option + M
and press the right arrow to see the title of the application I'm in, the
application will be for example Safari while the VoiceOver Cursor is reading
me a reminder.

Today I'm having a similar problem with the Notifications window whereby I
have a PDF on my iPhone in Safari that I'm air dropping to the Mac to print.
VoiceOver is telling me of the Notification.  So I press Control + Option +
N to go the Notification Center.  The air drop PDF is there for a short
while, but I cannot seem to take any action on it by clicking and arrowing
up/down.  If I try to interaction with Control + Option + Shift + Down I
just hear the piano tone that indicates it's not possible.  I've tried with
Quick keys arrows as well both on and off to interact and accept the air
drop but not successful.

I worked around the air drop problem by just saving the PDF from my iPhone
to Microsoft OneDrive and opening it manually from OneDrive on Mac.  But it
would be nice to really understand how notification center works on Mac.

Appreciate any thorough guidance on Notification center.

Best,

Charles