[Nfbf-l] FW: [Brl-coordinators] change in deadline for discounted pricing of Braille coin, and updated handout

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Mon Apr 20 21:35:29 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,

We found out that the  introductory price  is in effect until 5 pm EDT on
Mon., April 27, rather than April 26!  I have attached the updated
information  for  you  to  email to  colleagues, friends and family, or  to
print  as  a hand out.  I've pasted the same info below.  I'm also attaching
and pasting the description of the coin below the ordering information,
since it's something many  will wish to know.   Remember to tell folks that
ten dollars of each sale goes to NFB to be used for Braille literacy
projects.  I know, I know, just call me Braille O'Brien! (smile)

Sherrill

How to order Braille coins from the U.S. Mint
 Ten dollars of each coin purchase goes to the National Federation of the
Blind for Braille literacy projects.

 Online:

Go to: catalog.usmint.gov

In left hand column select commemoratives.

3 choices: proof, uncirculated, uncirculated with easy open capsule

Select your choice and order.

By phone:

Call 800-872-6468 (800-usa-mint)

Prices before and after 5 p.m. EDT on 4/27:

Uncirculated with (or without) easy open capsule: before - $31.95 after -
$33.95

Proof: before - $37.95 after - $41.95

Shipping costs - about $5.00

NFB - Braille_coin_description
Louis Braille Bicentennial Coin Design

Coin Description
Director of the United States Mint, Ed Moy, describes the coin as follows:
The coin obverse, or heads side of the coin, features a handsome image of
Louis
Braille from the neck up, facing forward.  This image captures him as the
energetic, confident and successful young man he was, and the image fills
the
center of the coin.  He is wearing a jacket and collar in the style of the
early
1800s and his hair is fashionably wavy.
The coin also bears the inscription "Liberty" along the curve of the coin
above
his head and the words "Louis Braille" underneath his portrait.  "In God We
Trust" is inscribed to the right of Braille's image at cheek level.  The
date
"1809" appears on the left and "2009" appears on the right, both at collar
height.
On the coin reverse, the most prominent image is a boy who looks to be about
8
or 9 sitting at a table reading a book in Braille.  He is wearing a T-shirt
and
has the top of a cane resting on his left arm.  The word "Braille" in
Braille
code-abbreviated B-R-L as it is in Braille code-is produced on the upper
half of
the coin.   The spacing of the letters ensures that the text is no different
from printed or written Braille to the touch.
On the left in the background, the word "Independence" is written along the
top
of a bookshelf full of books.  The inscription "United States of America" is
at
the top of the curve of the coin, "One Dollar" is at the bottom and "E
Pluribus
Unum" is to the right of the seated child reading Braille.C2008 All Rights
Reserved - Copyright 2008 NFB