[Nfbf-l] Fw: Time to call yourFlorida HouseRepresentative!Another Service for the Blind maybe going bythe Wayside.

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 29 01:30:02 UTC 2009

Dear Jody,

Newsline can provide the Hurricane Preparedness manual on its channel
features, as well as many other bits of info and it is available 24 hours a
day and from anywhere.
Most seniors are scared of technology and are slow to embrace it, but many
do.
Seniors are the fastest rising group in the use of the internet and e-mail.
Once they get over their fear they love it.
I see more and more seniors carrying cell phones today where many would not
do it a few years ago.  It is mostly because they know other seniors who
carry them now and they don't want to be left out.
New technology does one of three things.  It falls on its face and no one
uses it as expected.  It totally replaces and old technology completely,
such as the way the car replaced the horse.  The last is that a new
technology can enhance or even revolutionize and older technology the way
the telegraph revolutionized the railroads.
Newsline could have done that for the Radio Reading Service, but they could
not see the potential that being part of newsline would have given them.
They could have "streamed" their broadcast through the channels features and
increased The range of the Radio Reading Service.  The Radio Reading Service
station range is very limited and mostly local at best.  Newsline has the
ability to reach many more people and could have partnered with them to
enhance both services.

David Evans, NFBF