[Nfbf-l] Member at large

davidw dwermuth1 at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 14 12:27:11 UTC 2009

It has been brought to my attention  that a lot of gossip is circulateing
about the message I sent out a few weeks ago about me wanting to be a
"member at large" and hopefully we can put this to rest here and now.  I am
not the type to respond to gossip as I feel that I have always fought for
the rights of the Blind-Low Vision Community since going thru my own battles
after going blind in 1995.

I wrote that message as I am frustrated ever since moving to Florida early
this year.  While in Washington State we had already fought for
transportation and it is 100% better than what they offer here.   We could
travel anywhere, seven days a week,  from six in the morning until mid night
and that is what I am use too.   but here in our area and many other area's
it is very limited if your lucky enough to have it and their closed on the
weekends.

As far as the Florida Division for Blind Services,  it really sucks (pardon
my language Ladie's)  I've heard that "we have better services than other
state's"  Umm  I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Florida has in my
opinion one of the worse if not the worse services in this great country of
ours.  I've worked in a couple states for the Blind-Low Vision and they put
Floridas services to shame.

I've met a few so called Vocational Rehabilitation Counselors (VRC's) and a
couple supervisor's working for the state of Florida's Blind Services and
after hearing them spew their speech I wonder how they sleep at night and I
wonder if they are embarrassed to take their paycheck.

So to get back to why I wrote that message: I am really frustrated!  I
recieved many messages off list stateing I can do "more from the inside from
the outside"  and I feel that they are sincere and have the same issues and
concerns as I.
If we stand alone most in likely nobody will hear us but if we stand
together then we can become loud enough they will have to listen.
Again,
I would rather be standing on my feet fighting then, on my knee's begging.

Happy Holidays to You and Yours,

David Wermuth
President-  Hernando-East Pasco Chapter
352-593-4063