[Nfbf-l] Computer transition

Bill Outman woutman at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 21 21:31:35 UTC 2009

Hi, Joanne.

The items you listed help a little but there still some issues to deal with.

Okay I understand I probably need to  call A. T. & T. first to get the
equipment and then call Earthlink.  Just what is this piece of equipment I'm
asking them for since I've never had anything but dial-up?  I have the
router to make it Wi-Fi.

Next I understand what the procedure is you laid out for sending everything
in My Documents to some sort of external storage such as a Flash drive, SD
card or external drive.  I know I have an SD card but I don't believe the
card reader I have will work with this old computer, it's an old Windows 98
second edition.  I don't have a flash drive or other external drive.  Do I
need to have the store I bought the old one from make a service call to
bring one of these tools over?

I believe what you are referring to is the ribbon in Office 2007 which of
course includes Word.  The files I have are from Office 2000, mostly Word
with a smattering of Excel.  I know I should be able to open them directly
from Documents in Windows 7 if need be.

Yes I have the Jaws DVD ready and waiting so that should not be a problem
and that I should say yes to running Jaws at start-up.  As for Narrator,
thanks for the tips on where it is so I can decide on whether it should run.
I have heard that it can be good to keep it running in case one were to have
a Jaws lockup.  I truthfully don't know what the store did as far as turning
it on as I mentioned it was there but didn't specifically ask for it to be
turned on.

When you asked if I had XP or Vista I am not sure which computer you're
referring to, so as a reminder I'm going from an old Windows 98 SE desktop
to a 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium laptop.

Thanks for the help and if I have more questions we'll bat this around
again.

Bill Outman