[Nfbf-l] Newspaper Article 2009

Judith Hamilton jrhamilton51 at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 27 16:17:47 UTC 2009

David,

This is an issue that has surfaced in our chapter also.  One of our long
time members, who is sighted, is facing this issue for economic reasons.
This person does not own a vehicle, but borrows one from friends when
available.  The increase in the drivers license and state identification
card fees, I believe, just increased as a result of the past legislative
session.  In addition, for those who have state identification cards
because we cannot get a drivers license, make sure you ask someone when
your identification card expires.  Starting January 1, 2010 all new and
renewal drivers licenses and state identification cards will require proof
of birth (not a copy), 2 forms of address verification (utility bills,
etc.).  If your identification card does not expire until 2011,2012,2013,or
2014, you do not have to worry right now about gathering the information.
You will be allowed one renewal online up to 2014.  It will have to be
provided at the time of your renewal or new application.  A lot of folks
over 65 have a zeroed out expiration date on their identification card.  I
am not sure if the state has changed that or not.  I believe the reason for
the changes have to do with homeland security issues.  The state has
blitzed television and radio with the public service announcement of
"Gather, Go Get," informing people about the changes.   Another issue is
that many driver's license agencies in rural areas were closed due to the
budget situation in the state, which will impact many economically
disadvantaged and physically disabled folks who have to present the
documents when renewing or getting new driver licenses or identification
cards.
Best thing to do right now is contact the department of motor vehicles
directly to find out specific information.  We probably also need to get to
know our local Legislators to make them aware of snafu's  in their
legislation.

Judy Hamilton
Gainesville Chapter

http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfbf-l_nfbnet.org/dwermuth1%40earthlin