[Nfbf-l] Iowa decision goes against dog users

Kathy Davis kdavisnfbf at cfl.rr.com
Sun Feb 22 04:28:32 UTC 2009

First of all, Dave, please forgive me for not getting back with you via
phone. I'm just so slammed on all fronts and will be on a center activity in
New Orleans until Wednesday and then off to Baltimore on Friday to
participate in a state presidents seminar.

I totally agree with all you said in your e-mail about the Iowa Center.
Louisiana does not allow use of a guide dog during class time nor on
center-based activities out of Ruston. I am able to keep my precious Seeing
Eye Dog, Davey, in a room along with three other guides and can pop by at
most any time to take him to park or to just visit for a few minutes. I live
about a mile from the center with other students in the LCB program and we
can use our guide dogs to and from school, at lunch and on the weekends.
Davey is very happy with this arrangement as he loves his other furry
friends and has plenty of opportunity to work with me.

What I needed and didn't have was good cane travel skills. I go on travel
two  hours per day using my long white cane and everyone is under sleep
shades. We do everything under sleep shades and this includes using power
tools and cooking along with special activities. I am learning so much and
have gained so much confidence since I began the LCB program in late
September. I'll always choose to have a guide dog but I will also take
advantage of my ever-increasing cane travel skills as well. No, that student
knew what she was getting into when she applied to the Iowa Center and she
should have selected a different rehabilitation program if she was insistent
on training with her guide dog.

I'll catch up with you after I return back to Ruston in a week or so.

Take good care and thank you for such a dead on message that clearly depicts
your points.

Kathy