[Nfbf-l] School Needs

PJ persianpj at aol.com
Tue Jan 6 03:31:31 UTC 2009

I have an unusual request:? The school that I have taught in, for 28 years, might close this year.? I am asking that each of you?send good thoughts, and especially prayers, for the students and staff of Springfield Elementary School in Panama City, Florida.?

The faculty and staff work very hard each and every day to provide a great learning environment for about 450 students.? Not just regular ed. kids because almost 1/2 of our students are in exceptional student education programs.? There are students with autism,?Down's Syndrome, in wheelchairs, multiple seizure disorders, using catheters, etc. at this public school.?

This year, seven of these students?happen to be?visually impaired and throughout the years have found a place where they are accepted, nurtured, and taught by highly skilled and caring teachers.? I never have a problem finding a teacher for "my" students.? In fact, many have asked me over the years if I have a VI student for them to teach!? My students and I are integrated into the classrooms and are shown that we belong there.? I can't say enough about how hard it would be start over at another school with a different faculty.? Not to mention the O&M "nightmare".? As of today, we might be moved to a middle school (which would become a K-8 facility; no mention has been made of what would happen to the preschool students).?

I am writing for my students NOT for myself.? After all, I'm a Teacher of Visually Impaired students so I'm FLEXIBLE!

Anyway, thanks for "listening" and for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers.?
Patti Johnson (PJ)