[Nfbf-l] National Day of Service a great success!

CommMDB at aol.com CommMDB at aol.com
Mon Jan 19 23:16:38 UTC 2009

Great job. Happy Martin Luther King Day to all of you as your  chapter worked
to keep the dream alive.
Marilyn Baldwin

In a message dated 1/19/2009 3:26:11 P.M. Central Standard Time,
sherrill.obrien at verizon.net writes:

Hello  all,

As you recall, the East Hillsborough chapter organized a clothing  and
hygiene products collection for distribution to the homeless in the  Tampa
area.  This was indeed accomplished today at Marion's New Life  Unity Church,
as part of Barak Obama's National Day of Service.  In  all, there were about
25 volunteers organizing the clothing, and packaging  up razors, toothbrishes
etc.  Among the volunteers were a atotal of  five Federationists from the
East Hillsborough and Tampa Bay  chapters.  The Florida Network on
Disabilities was also  represented.

Folks got word of this great project via an article in  yesterday's Tampa
Tribune which Marion wrote, and also from the  USA  service website.  One
couple brought their children so they could  learn firsthand about helping
others.  Of course there was information  about the NFB for folks to take
with them.

There was a steady stream  of donations.  When I first arrived, I asked if
there would be enough  for me to do!  Well, I didn't stop folding and sorting
clothes for  several hours!!  What an awesome experience to see people
responding  so generously with their donations and time!

One large bag of clothing  will be taken to the Spring, a safe haven for
battered women.  These  nicer clothes will be available for women who  need
to look their best  when going to a job interview.  There were  many blankets
and  heavy jackets as well, which will be taken  today in a truck directly  to
the homeless on the streets of Tampa.

Being able to give back in  this way sure lifts the spirits and gladdens the
heart...and helps change  what it means to be blind!

Sherrill