[Nfbf-l] [NFBF-Leaders] FW: Group Fights To Reinvigorate Braille Use from the Tampa Tribune

elizabeth McNally bethmac at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 21 22:24:35 UTC 2009

The Miami-Dade County Chapter has been very busy this month in celebrating
louis Braille's Birthday. We partnered with the Miami-Dade Public Library
System and the Miami Talking Book Library to have or are having during the
rest of the month 12 local library gatherings for children. Some during the
day when school groups have come to the library and others are after school
and have covered the gamet of ages. I have really enjoyed doing these. The
whole chapter was involved in our big community celebration at the Main
Library on 1-10. There was a resource fair with ten orgganizations or
service groups; a read-a-thon in Braille of course; demonstrations of
Braille reading and writing using slate, Braille writer, and refreshable
devices; a program telling the story of Louis Braille and explaining why
Braille is as important to those with poor vision as the pen is to those
who are sighted. We of course sang Happy Birthday and had a birthdaycake as
well as other refreshments. Two of our membbers, Scott Treeman and Ray
Watson, played wonderful background music on the piano during the  four hour
program. The only unfortunate thing was the lack of media attention. When
working with a county agency, the county must put out the PR and there is a
lot to be desired. Yet, it was well attended by those who are regulars on
Saturdays at the Main library and we had invitations sent out to all of the
talking book recipiants. I believe this is a good way to get the entire
blindness community involved and get out our word at the same time.

Betty McNally, Chapter President