[Nfbf-l] LEGISLATIVE ALERT!

elizabeth McNally bethmac at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 15 03:06:04 UTC 2009

We have only five out of the twenty five members of the house of
representatives delegation who have signed our pedestrian enhancement act
734 and fewer that have signed the social security bill 886. There is now a
bill in the senate for the pedestrian Enhancement Act 841 and we need to get
both senators to sign on.

For members of the house from your area that are republican they should
contactCliff Sterns from the Ocala area here in Florida to sign as
cosponsor. You can also tell them that Gus Bilirakus and Ileana Ros-leitenin
have already signed on. The democrats can go to Ed Towns from NY to
cosponsor. You can tell them that Debbie Wasserman-Schultz is already on.
For the social security bill the originator is John Lewis from GA who is a
democrat to cosponsor. I do not recall who the republican is but I will find
out and get back with you.

In the senate, 841 was originally sponsored by democrat John Cary of MA and
Arlen Spector of PA (was republican but now democrat). We can tell both Bill
Nelson and Mel Martinez who in the house has already sponsored.

We had a lot of positive interest when we were in Washington.

I am asking everyone on the list to take afew minutes and try to get these
guys to cosponsor. Nationally there are 176 cosponsors and we need 219 to
assure passage. There are no figures since we are only getting started in
the senate.

I would like to set a goal for Florida to have 13 reps and both senators by
the end of the month. I realize that this may seem unrealistic but we need
to set something worth reaching for.

GO TO IT AND LETS SEE IF WE CAN'T REACH OUR GOAL!

Betty McNally, Legislative Chair