[Nfbf-l] Amtrak

Kirk kvharmon54 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 02:35:42 UTC 2009

Marion,
Hmm! I didn't realize there was any underlying feelings involved here. I was
just trying to say,  prior to your learned response from Am Track, which is
a critical part of my comments, that we have so much more to resolve in  our
equality debate.  I retracted my remarks after your learned comments were
jsent  out! As far  as leaders Marion, I believe we need  to reach out  in a
more educational and friendly manner to our sighted community to open there
eyes to our plight and as we do this interaction  they will realize why we
feel like we do and why we need laws changed before we go right down their
throats all the time! As a  Sighted person for 42 years of sight I have
been fortunate enough to have been on both sides of the fence and know what
and how there side feels about us, Whether we like it or not. We do act
differently than the sighted world , as there vision can compare the
pedestrians walking about and us among them. andThis makes us quite obvious
among them  that we  are blinded  for sure. If this offends  anyone of us,
well then I am truly sorry, but it is the reality of our lives! So, perhaps
we could ttry to make them to understand us by starting  to participate in
our sighted communities activities to help them see us more with there
brains rather than there vision!!! Marion, this is where I feel we are
failing the most! If we educated them by mixing with them more, perhaps
they would work more earnestly to see that our needs are implemented thru
our Laws. Since I started advocating for the blind in  Orlando, I have built
a repore with  all  of our sighted Commissioners one on one, both of our
Mayors and there staffs, even  to the point of having them to my home  to
discuss with other blind leaders here to here our side and get  a better
understanding of our ability's and intellegence I have also included
business  leaders,  Teachers and children, ETC.  I have also reached out to
our future by creating a  meet the blind  festive stand  for the kids to try
our short obstacle course with an adjustable white cane and blinders with
the cooperation of our city officials for which we had candy for them  at
the end, we had a member have them  try to trick them with the change we had
them choose and of course he always ggot it right! We had a couple of our
guide dog users there to show them the proper way to approach a person with
one. They came to us aprehencive and shy and once we intermingled with them,
joked with them, and taught them how we are just like  them  with a
disability, they ran away giggling and running with their white and blue
balloons and more in tune  with the fact the we are not white eyed monsters
coming out of the back alleys but simply people. My belief is that these
kids will grow up and become our next  politicians, lawmakers, attorneys,
ETC. When they do and they recieve a law in our favor come across their desk
they will remenice of the time  the old blind man had magic in his hands by
knowing all the coins! have been able to lighten  there reception of me and
what I convey to all of them. Not by threat, but by social skills and
letting them all know that I understand how they feel but once they  can
understand what our needs are and that we are  not any different than they
in  most cases, they seem  to be more rrelaxed and responsivve to work with
us for the change for us! For us to ask  assistance for one minute and then
demanding to be given our independence the next, is quite confusing to the
sighted community which can see us as angry demanding people. I don't feel
that this is the image we want them to feel about us, do You? I feel this is
definitely not the way to change the sighted community's mind about usand
gain their support. As far as Hollyis concerned,  I like her and her father,
Jerry,  very much!   They are a true asset to the NFBFL and our Orlando
community. I also, respect your work Marion, and know you believe in your
approach and that is good. As if anyone advocates for something they are not
truly heartfelt about, then nothing but inaffective results  and conditions
will appear! I hope these  comments don't give you and many more leaders in
the NFbFL  more reason to get upset with my feelings  over my belief  that
we can and should speak out whether it is respected or appreciaited or not!
I  do apologize for the long, and at times rambling response! Your friend in
the cause, KH