[Nfbf-l] Louis Brille

Mark markspark at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 1 23:12:06 UTC 2009

Well, we are finally getting around to organizing our Louis Braille activity here in Martin County.  I'd like some ideas about how to circumvent this challenge, since I'm sure others must have encountered it.  I spoke with the community relations person at our local Barnes and Noble last week.  She pointed out to me that she is not authorized to promote events at the store that don't involve authors coming in who will sell their books or something that will provide business for the store.  In other words, we would have to bring in other customers, preferably a lot of them as the result of any event we organized.  She did offer to send information I might choose to provide her to her district manager to see what his thinking would be, and I sent her information about the NFB, the importance of Braille literacy and how our event would promote this.  I also sent her our position paper on Braille literacy here in Florida.  I also emphasized that should we have a commemorative event at Barnes and Noble, I as our chapter president would strongly recommend that each of us participating buy something from the store, even if it is just a book or two to send as a gift to a relative or friend.  How have people circumvented this problem?  Also, regardless of what happens, I am calling our local library tomorrow to see about setting up a time to have a commemorative event promoting the use of Braille at their location.  Thanks for any suggestions.
Mark Tardif
You can't hug your loved ones with nuclear arms