[Nfbf-l] Jacksonville Cut-A-Thon media coverage

Gina Minichiello minichiellog at comcast.net
Mon Mar 30 13:19:09 UTC 2009

Yesterday, the GreaterJacksonville Chapter had its first annual Cut-A-Thon. I've pasted the link and the article below that was in the Florida Times Union today. The reporter was there for an hour and even got a haircut. I'll send out the event info later.

http://www.jacksonville.com/news/metro/2009-03-30/story/benefit_cuts

Hair-cutting event raises money for visually impaired
70 Jacksonville-area cosmetologists took part in the event.
By Kevin Turner Story updated at 6:41 AM on Monday, Mar. 30, 2009 EMAIL PRINT BLOG THIS COMMENT Buzz up!
Photos Video
Photo 1 of 2
DON BURK/The Times-Union
Hyun Devine works on the hair of Racheal Escobar on Sunday during the cut-a-thon benefit.
DON BURKPhoto 2 of 2
DON BURK/The Times-Union
Ashley Jenkins works Sunday on Carey Baker, a University of North Florida student, at the first multi-salon "Cut-A-Thon" to raise money for the National Federation of the Blind of Florida
.
DON BURK
Cosmetologist Brenda Henderson of The Spa at Tre Salon took her usual care Sunday in styling a client's hair, but the difference that day was she did it free.

And she was glad to do it, she said.

Henderson was one of about 70 Jacksonville area cosmetologists who gave free haircuts and stylings in a multi-salon "Cut-A-Thon" that raised money for the local chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Florida, an organization for visually impaired people.

"It seemed like such a great cause," Henderson said. "I thought it would be fun to get together with the other salons and do something for the community."

The North Florida Institute-Jacksonville campus, at 5995 University Blvd. W., hosted the event, and 16 salons participated.

"Today we have a total of seven of our staff coming out to support our event," said Jackie McDonald, who owns The Spa at Tre Salon. "We're very blessed to have a gift to offer the community."

It was the brainchild of coordinator Larry Marten, a hair-care products salesman who works with the salons involved. Coordinating the event was an opportunity to give back to the community and to help the federation's greater Jacksonville chapter, which includes Marten's blind son, Eric, 16, as a member.

"This particular group has always been challenged to try to raise money," he said. Previous fundraising efforts have fizzled, he noted, but the cut-a-thon has a lot of people supporting it, and he pledged there will be another one next year.

"The salons have been ultra-gracious in saying they want to do it, too," he said.

People who came to get their hair cut at the North Florida Institute benefited, too, because they paid $10 for a cut and styling that likely would have cost them more at the salons where the stylists work. When it was done, they'd given 120 haircuts, Marten said.

Donna Galley found out about the event at Florida Community College at Jacksonville, where she is taking classes, she said.

"Because it's for the National Federation of the Blind and I happen to be legally blind myself, it's to support the cause," she said of her visit to the cut-a-thon.

Joe Minichiello, president of the Jacksonville chamber of the National Federation of the Blind, said the proceeds will help send members to conventions and to bring the region's visually impaired and their families together for an annual spring picnic.

The organization also has a Braille literacy campaign, a national job service and other resource programs for the blind.

"Any time we can get assistance with raising funds, especially in a good event like this, it's definitely appreciated," Minichiello said.

About 70 percent of blind people are unemployed and only 10 percent of blind students are taught Braille in school today, he said.

"Technology has come a long way, but if you don't read, you lose a lot," he said.

The federation's programs add up to ways blind people can feel more a part of the general populace, he said.

"It lets people know it's OK to be blind," said Minichiello, who also is blind. "You can have a normal, productive life."

Eric Marten, for one, is very active.

"I'm a second-degree black belt in tae kwon do, and understanding the sighted world has helped me integrate," he said.

kevin.turner at jacksonville.com, (904) 359-4609

Gina Minichiello, Board Member
Treasurer, Greater Jacksonville Chapter
minichiellog at comcast.net