[Nfbf-l] Job Discrimination

Kirk kvharmon54 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 00:20:29 UTC 2009

        Bill, I can understand your frustration without a doubt, however, I
would assume that these requirements you have described such as must have a
valid drivers License, or must be able to lift over 25 pds or more, should
be associated to jobs that would require you to either drive or be able to
pick up items of considerable weight. I know it can be very upsetting to
you, but when I could see and hired people for my small businesses, I had
these items mentioned in my applications. I placed them on my applications
not to discriminate, but to help me  identify with applicants that could do
the specific jobs they were applying for. Now, after saying that, If you are
a computer programmer, then like you said, the only requirements for you are
to close down your lap top at the end of the day and remove it from your
work space! I hope that  you don't think that I am slighting your situation
by any means Bill, but just trying to let you understand why it's legal and
why employers do, at times, do what they do!  I don't understand at all why
these employer's  you have described would ask these type questions however
if they are looking specifically for computer programmers or computer or
electronic technicians, ETC. I would assume that  if you were to research
more thoroughly about this as to why these requirements are legal  on
applications for clerical or computer jobs,and why employer's are asking for
these answers on jobs without the need for them. Perhaps they could modify
the law so that only jobs that  require certain needs would have these
restrictions on their applications.   If employer's are not using these
properly for there applications for specific job requirements than perhaps
they could be forced to pay a fine and/or change their applications
accordingly!  Your friend in  the cause, Kirk