[Nfbf-l] Job Discrimination

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Sat Oct 24 08:06:18 UTC 2009

Bill,
    Now that you have heard about what others assume and that these are
"standard questions", let me chime in and give you my take on this. First of
all, here's the disclaimer: I am not an attorney. The information I share
should not be construed as legal advice; rather it is intended as informal
guidance only!
    Section 102 of the Americans with Disabilities Act (42 USC 12112)
describes discrimination, in part, as

("6) using qualification standards, employment tests or other selection
criteria that screen out or tend to screen out an individual with a
disability or a class of individuals with disabilities unless the standard,
test or other selection criteria, as used by the covered entity, is shown to
be job- related for the position in question and is consistent with business
necessity"

    Furthermore, section 101 (42 USC 12111)requires employers to make
reasonable accommodations", which include

(A) making existing facilities used by employees readily accessible to and
usable by individuals with disabilities; and

(B) job restructuring, part- time or modified work schedules, reassignment
to a vacant position, acquisition or modification of equipment or devices,
appropriate

adjustment or modifications of examinations, training materials or policies,
the provision of qualified readers or interpreters, and other similar
accommodations

for individuals with disabilities.

    The question you ask deals with the "essential functions" of a job. If
you are an IT person who is working in an office and never required to make
on-site visits, the ability to drive is probably not an "essential
Function"; however, if the job requires you to visit customers in the field,
then the ability to drive may be construed as an essential function! This
being said, even if you do need to make on-site visits, there is another
concept in employment discrimination law referred to as "Bona Fide
Occupational Qualifications" (BFOQ). An occupation has specific
qualifications that need to be met in order to perform the professional
functions of a job. For instance, a counselor may be required to have a
Master degree, a state license, and specific experience. However, the
ability to drive may not be a BFOQ! At the same time, the possession of a
driver license is a BFOQ for a taxi driver! If a counselor needs to make
on-site visits to clients, hiring a driver for this person may be a
reasonable accommodation, provided the accommodation does not cause an
"undue hardship".
    I hope I was able to give you a little direction, rather than just blow
hot air! (smile) I would be willing to continue this discussion for you and
the rest of the list, since job discrimination is one of the biggest
challenges we face as blind employees. With an unemployment rate of more
than 70%, there is no doubt in my mind that we are discriminated against due
to our blindness!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala, President
East Hillsborough Chapter