[Nfbf-l] Fw: Article from Orlando Sentinel A Section 2010 02 05

Jody W. Ianuzzi jody at thewhitehats.com
Mon Feb 8 22:15:04 UTC 2010

Hello Sherri,

Therapeutic riding centers have never had a problem finding places.  I am
sure that Freedom Ride will find support to continue their program.

I think therapeutic riding has a wonderful place for individuals who have
physical difficulty with balance and it gives people a sense of freedom they
don't have limited to a wheelchair etc.

I do find that too many therapeutic riding centers are quick to include
blindness as a disability group they serve.  I will be honest, I have a
problem with this.  A blind person does not need to be lead and have a
sidewalker walk next to their horse.

I have been riding again after being out of the saddle for 44 years.  I am
riding western with the goal of barrel racing and reining competition.  I am
using a two way radio for direction and following the patterns of the arena.

I have discovered I am not the first blind barrel racer, I am the fourth
that I know of.  Is my riding therapeutic.  You're darn right it is but at a
full gallop riding like the wind.

There is an attempt to segregate disabled people when it is not necessary or
desireable.

I say go for it, all the way.  Adapt if necessary but go for it.

JODY

"Barrel racers know how to take turns"