[Nfbf-l] article for Florida channel on Newsline

Lappland lappland at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 13 02:10:04 UTC 2010

sherri,
below is an article about the PB chapter for the florida channel:

Palm Beach Chapter

The Palm Beach Chapter is on the move. With a variety of activities and
outreach projects, our chapter educates and supports the blind in our
community. Many of our members volunteer their time with organizations such
as the Florida Outreach Center for the Blind, Area Agency on Aging, and
serve on legislative and transportation Committees.

The chapter observed White Cane Safety Month by holding a demonstration at
one of our county's largest intersections. We navigated roads with six lanes
of traffic to increase awareness of the Law. Posters were displayed and
fliers distributed. A proclamation was obtained and a major newspapers
covered our event.

Our Chapter is always represented at state and local events such as
Washington Seminars, TD-Day, state and national conventions. In fact, our
members were responsible for organizing transportation and rooms for TD-Day.
Our Chapter also hosted the 2009 State Convention and helped  with
registration, coordinating the exhibit hall and chairing seminars. We have
donated door prizes and auction items for the state.

Our meetings are lively and include guest speakers who address topics like:
crime prevention, new devices, break through in eye diseases, and existing
services. Our members are encouraged to share information and new products.
They are also encouraged to read N.F.B. publications and to join the State's
list serve. All meetings have literature and a 50-50 drawing.

 Our chapter obtained a grant which made it possible to publish a monthly
News Letter.   We do an annual mail-out and have a page on the N.F.B.F. web
site. We also have a telephone committee and send cards to sick members.

 Our chapter is like a family and members are encouraged to share their
ideas. They work diligently and like to have fun. One event that we recently
held was an annual Holiday Party with gifts and a sing-a-long led by a
professional musician. Our chapter meets on the 2nd Saturday of each month
from 10:30 AM to 1:00 PM at the Grumpy Grouper Grill located at 224 N. 3rd
Street in Lantana, 33462. Our members enjoy an opportunity to socialize over
lunch and share vital support and resources. Our Chapter will continue
reaching out to blind people and working hard to change what it means to be
blind. For more information about our chapter or its up-coming activities,
contact Patricia Hayes, President, at (561) 478-0583.