[Nfbf-l] NFBF 2010 State Convention

Jody W. Ianuzzi jody at thewhitehats.com
Wed Jun 2 01:57:05 UTC 2010

I used a cane for over 30 years before I got my first guide dog.  the
difference is dramatic.  They are not interchangeable.  They are two very
separate skills.

ALL guide dog schools require established O&M skills.  They don't feel it is
their responsibility to teach travelers the basics.  Using a cane is like
having a pilots license and a guide dog is like getting an instrument
rating.

I know my guide dog school not only asked for the names of my mobility
instructors but they also did an O&M evaluation as part of the interview
process.  I know they contacted the mobility instructor too because he
contacted me to congratulate me on getting a dog.

You can't just hang the dog on a hook like you do a cane.  I work with my
dog every day building her skills.  It isn't always easy and al guide dog
relationships have their positive and negative aspects.

I think the training centers should take all of this in to account when
retraining guide dog handlers with mobility lessons since all already have
the cane skills.

JODY