[Nfbf-l] NFBF 2010 State Convention

Jody W. Ianuzzi jody at thewhitehats.com
Wed Jun 2 14:36:42 UTC 2010

Hello Holly,

Yes, but ALL guide dog users still use a cane too.  There are occasions when
we leave our dogs at home for one reason or another and we use our canes.

I have a good friend whose guide dog died suddenly in January and he is
waiting for his successor dog.  He has been taking his daily three mile walk
using his cane.

When I go to the beach I leave my dog at home and I use a cane there.  I
don't want her to get over heated laying in the sand and I don't want her
picking up fleas.  People don't take their dogs to loud concerts or other
places that would be a negative experience for a dog.  I also leave my dog
home when going out with friends who are allergic or who don't want my dog
in their home because of allergies etc.  When I worked in an office I had my
dog stay under my desk when I had a short trip to the coffee maker or the
ladies room and I used my cane then.

I carry a California Cane Slimline cane with me for this purpose.  They even
make a cane holder that fits on a dog's harness.

Using a guide dog does not mean you NEVER use a cane.  Cane skills are still
kept up.  I also think all dog handlers realize their dogs might get sick or
hurt and they might not be able to work for a while so they realize they
have to keep their skills up.

I had an awesome O&M instructor and I did learn under blindfolds.  I do have
hand motion vision but I will close my eyes while working my dog now and
then to double check her skills.

I suppose you can compare mobility to owning a car.  some people take
excellent care of their cars and other people just let them fall apart.

As an O&M student I would certainly hope that you would be exposed to more
then a few chapters and a few handouts on guide dog travel.  I know my O&M
instructor spent a week at a guide dog school observing and actually walking
with a guide dog under blindfolds.  He had a real appreciation of the
information conveyed.

I know I was surprised at how much I am able to pick up through my dog's
harness.  I know which foot she is stepping out on by the swing of the
harness and I can even feel her breathing.  The amount of information is
amazing.  I like the fact that I can cross a busy parking lot and tell my
dog to 'find inside' and she goes right to the door.  I do miss the defined
input I got from a cane on stairs but all in all I do like the guide dog
experience better then a cane.

I remember my first solo walk was at a mall where I had never been before.
We were dropped off at a Borders entrance and told to have fun for two
hours.  I went in the store and rather then having to negotiate all the
displays my dog just wove in and out until I heard the main mall sounds.  I
walked the length of the mall listening and smelling for clues until we
found the food court where we had a snack.  We walked from one store to the
next to see what was there.  My dog is such a girl and as we passed each
store opening she would slow down and turn her head to see what shopping
experience might be there.  When it was time to leave, I just told her to
'find outside' and we walked right back to the door I had come in at
Borders.  I am a fast walker and so is my dog.  She is like driving a race
car.

I don't go to the mall often but when I do my dog remembers I like the
Hallmark store.  Rather then having to find the entrance she will pause in
front of the store.  If I tell her to go in, she weaves right back to the
scented candles.  That's my girl!

JODY