[Nfbf-l] Bad plug

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 8 01:13:20 UTC 2010

Dear R.J.

Tell them you know blind people who work on high voltage electric current
everyday and I am still here.  You don't get many second chances with
260,000 volts.
I have worked in and around such devices mostly after I became blind.
You learn certain things that help to keep you safe.
I see nothing now, so I get someone sighted to identify the colors of wires
and terminals, mark them with tactile markers and then go to work.  I can
use a color identifier, but this will only tell me solid colors and not
wires with colored strips on them.
I work in a very deliberate manner, step by step, making sure that all
breakers are turned off, locked out and then I test to make sure there is no
current with a tester before I touch a bare wire or strip one.
Most household wires follow the code of Black to the Brass screw, white to
the silver screw and green to the ground.
I have been doing it for over 40 years and my good old Navy smoke test
usually do not make any smoke.

I also weld with a235 amp  arc welder to build my car frames and own my own
equipment.
I use power saws and flame cutting torches too.
I just get someone to stand fire watch, which is what even the sighted have
to do as well.
I can even tear down and rebuild auto engines without being able to see
them.
I still have all of my fingers and body parts I am suppose to have.
David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.

Nuclear/Aerospace Materials Engineer
Builder of the Lunar Rovers and the F-117 Stealth Fighter.