[Nfbf-l] White cane Law

Patricia A. Lipovsky plipovsky at cfl.rr.com
Sat Mar 6 22:13:05 UTC 2010

Hi David.

In regards to the accident with the person in the wheel chair, I understand
and know exactly what you are talking about.  Unfortunately, I do not have
all the details concerning this particular incident.  I do know that she was
somewhat of a deviant, I also know that she only had to go approximately one
block or so to be at a light, and she was warned by several people not to
cross where there was no cross walk or light many times.  Please know that I
am not trying to imply that she got what she deserved, or take up for the
police, but this is a pretty busy road, where once  traffic gets moving, it
flows at a pretty good rate of speed, and she should have really gone the
extra to cross at the light to be safe.

As far as the police, you are right on the money about that.  Most of them
definitely have an attitude, especially about visually impaired or blind
people.  we've had several folks get hit here in Daytona, and there were no
citations issued.  There was an elderly lady who  also got hit, who was not
blind, who died, and  no ticket was issued for that incident either.  She
was not quite across the street completely when the light changed, so they
said it was her fault for being in the road.  How ridiculous!!

Anyway, I've copied the small portion of the White Cane Law that pertains to
mobility aids below.

Also, I myself have never heard of, or read anything about Division of Blind
Services
receiving 40% of the $250 fine being assessed for drivers.

I also never heard of, and didn't know that there was any such thing as the
Grants and Donations Trust Fund of this agency.  As far as I know,
The Division of Blind Services is no longer under the Department of Labor
and Employment Security.  I believe it is now under Education.

Anyway, here is what I have concerning mobility aids.

Take care, and keep warm down there.

316.1303  Traffic regulations to assist mobility-impaired persons.--Whenever
a pedestrian is in the process of crossing a public street or highway and
the pedestrian is mobility-impaired (using a guide dog or service animal
designated as such with a visible means of identification, a walker, a
crutch, an orthopedic cane, or a wheelchair), the driver of every vehicle
approaching the intersection, as defined in s. 316.003(17), shall bring his
or her vehicle to a full stop before arriving at such intersection and,
before proceeding, shall take such precautions as may be necessary to avoid
injuring such pedestrian. A person who is convicted of a violation of this
section shall be punished as provided in s. 318.18(3).