[Nfbf-l] Area codes not to answer! very costly!

Kirk kvharmon54 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 21:31:33 UTC 2010

Hi everyone! I was given this information from a Veteran friend of mine from
the Miami area. I just thought I would pass it along for any of you that are
not familiar with this scam! Your friend in the cause, 809 Area Code
      We actually received a call last week from the 809 area code... The
woman said 'Hey, this is Karen . Sorry I missed you--get back to us quickly.
I have something important to tell you.' Then she repeated a phone number
beginning with 809We did not respond.  Then this week, we received the
following e-mail:

      Do Not  DIAL AREA CODE 809, 284, AND 876

      THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION PROVIDED TO US BY AT&T. DON'T EVER
DIAL AREA CODE 809

      This one is being distributed all over the US ... This is pretty
scary, especially given the way they try to get you to call.

      Be sure you read this and pass it on.

      They get you to call by telling you that it is information about a
family member who has been injured or to tell you someone has been arrested,
died, or to let you know you have won a wonderful prize, etc..
      In each case, you are told to call the 809 number right away.  Since
there are so many new area codes these days, people unknowingly return these
calls.

      If you call from the U.S. . , you will apparently be charged$2425
per-minute.

      Or, you'll get a long recorded message. The point is, they will try to
keep you on the phone as long as possible to increase the charges.  WHY IT
WORKS:

      The 809area code is located in the Dominican Republic ..
      The charges afterward can become a real nightmare. That's because you
did actually make the call.  If you complain, both your local phone company
and your long distance carrier will not want to get involved and will most
likely tell you that they are simply providing the billing for the foreign
company. You'll end up dealing with a foreign company that argues they have
done nothing wrong.

      Please forward this entire message to your friends, family and
colleagues to help them become aware of this scam.

      AT&T VERIFIES IT'S TRUE :http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=6045

      SNOPES VERIFIES IT'S TRUE:
http://www.snopescom/fraud/telephone/809.asp

Kirk