[Nfbf-l] Area codes not to answer! very costly!

DONNAJHACKNEY at aol.com DONNAJHACKNEY at aol.com
Sun Mar 28 13:16:53 UTC 2010

      (http://www.fcc.gov/)
(http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/809.html#skiptopnav) _Search_ (http://www.fcc.gov/searchtools.html)  | _RSS_
(http://www.fcc.gov/rss/)  | _Updates_ (http://www.fcc.gov/updates.html)  |
_E-Filing_ (http://www.fcc.gov/e-file/)   | _Initiatives_
(http://www.fcc.gov/initiatives.html)  | _<NOBR>Con_ (http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumers.html)
| _<NOBR>Find _ (http://www.fcc.gov/people.html)
(http://reboot.fcc.gov/)      Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau
 (http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/809.html#skipcrumb) _FCC_
(http://www.fcc.gov/)  > _CGB Home_ (http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/)  > _Consumer
Publications_ (http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/information_directory.html)  > Calls from "809,"
"649," "284" Area Codes -  Beware _FCC site  map_
(http://www.fcc.gov/fccsitemap.html)

Calls from "809," "649," "284" Area  Codes - Beware
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has  recently learned that an
old long distance phone scam that leads  consumers to incur high charges on
their phone bills may now affect  wireless consumers. In the past, consumers
have been fooled into  making expensive international calls by scam artists
who leave  messages on consumers’ answering machines or their e-mail
accounts.  The messages urge consumers to call a number with an “809,” “284,”  “
876,” or some other area code to collect a prize, find out about a  sick
relative, or engage in sex talk.
Wireless consumers are now receiving similar  calls from phone numbers with
three-digit area codes that appear to  be domestic, but are actually
associated with international  pay-per-call phone numbers. While wireless
companies are working to  block suspicious numbers on their networks, some consumers
may  become victims of this scam.
The Scam Works Something Like This:
    *   Your wireless phone rings once or twice and  then disconnects the
call. When the number appears in your  wireless phone log as a missed call,
it appears to be a typical  domestic telephone number starting with a “649”
area code;  or you get an e-mail or voicemail (on your residential  wired
telephone) telling you to call a phone number with an “809”,  “284”, “876,”
or some other three-digit international area code.
    *   When you return the call, you assume you are  making a domestic
long distance call – as “649,” “809,” “284,”  “876,” and other area codes
involved in this scam, appear to be  typical three-digit U.S. area codes.
    *   When you dial the three-digit area code plus  the number, however,
you are connected to a phone number outside  the United States, often in
Canada or the Caribbean, and are  charged expensive international call rates,
and may be charged for  pay-per-call services as well. (In this case, “649”
goes to the  Turks and Caicos, “809” goes to the Dominican Republic, “284”
goes  to the British Virgin Islands, and “876” goes to Jamaica.)
    *   You don’t find out about the higher  international call rates until
you receive your phone bill.
What You Can Do to Minimize the Risk of This  Happening to You:
    *   Check any unfamiliar area codes before  returning calls.
    *   Be aware that there are many 3-digit area codes  (mostly in the
Caribbean) that connect callers to international  telephone numbers.
    *   If you do not otherwise make international  calls, ask your local
or wireless phone company to block outgoing  international calls on your
line.
Filing a Complaint with the FCC
If you are billed for a call you made as a result  of this scam, first try
to resolve the matter with your telephone  company. If you are unable to
resolve it directly, you can file a  complaint with the FCC. There is no charge
for filing a complaint.  You can file your complaint using an FCC on-line
complaint form  found at _esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm_
(http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm) .  You can also file your complaint with the FCC’s
Consumer Center by  e-mailing _fccinfo at fcc.gov_ (mailto:fccinfo at fcc.gov) ;
calling 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322) voice or 1-888-TELL-FCC
(1-888-835-5322) TTY; faxing 1-866-418-0232; or writing to:
Federal Communications Commission
Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau
Consumer  Inquiries and Complaints Division
445 12th Street, SW
Washington, DC 20554.
The best way to provide all the information the  FCC needs to process your
complaint is to complete fully the on-line  complaint form. When you open
the on-line complaint form, you will  be asked a series of questions that will
take you to the particular  section of the form you need to complete. If
you do not use the  on-line complaint form, your complaint, at a minimum,
should  indicate:
    *   your name, address, e-mail address, and phone  number where you can
be reached;
    *   the telephone and account numbers that are the  subject of your
complaint;
    *   the name and phone numbers of any companies  involved with your
complaint;
    *   the amount of any disputed charges, whether you  paid them, whether
you received a refund or adjustment to your  bill, the amount of any
adjustment or refund you have received, an  explanation if the disputed charges
are related to services in  addition to residential or business telephone
services; and
    *   the details of your complaint and any  additional relevant
information.
Filing a Complaint with the Federal Trade  Commission (FTC)
If you feel that you are a victim of an  international phone scam, you can
file a complaint with the FTC  online at
_https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov_ (http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/bye?https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov)
.  You can also submit a complaint by calling the FTC toll-free at
1-877-382-4357 (voice) or 1-866-653-4261 (TTY), or writing to:
Federal Trade Commission
CRC -  240
600 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20580.
For More Information
For information about other telecommunications  issues, visit the FCC’s
Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau  Web site at _www.fcc.gov/cgb_
(http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/) ,  or contact the FCC’s Consumer Center using the
information provided  for filing a complaint.

For this or any other consumer  publication in an accessible format
(electronic ASCII text,  Braille, large print, or audio) please write or
call us
at the  address or phone number below, or send an e-mail to
_FCC504 at fcc.gov_ (mailto:FCC504 at fcc.gov) .
To receive information on this  and other FCC consumer topics through the
Commission's
electronic  subscriber service, visit _www.fcc.gov/cgb/contacts/_
(http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/contacts/) .
This document is for consumer  education purposes only and is not intended
affect any  proceedings or cases involving this subject matter or related
issues.

05/21/09

     Federal  Communications Commission · Consumer & Governmental  Affairs
Bureau · 445 12th St. S.W. · Washington,  DC 20554  1-888-CALL-FCC
(1-888-225-5322)  ·  TTY: 1-888-TELL-FCC  (1-888-835-5322)  · Fax: 1-866-418-0232
· _www.fcc.gov/cgb/_ (http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/)

last reviewed/updated  on 05/21/09
____________________________________
    (http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/809.html#skipbottomnav) _FCC
Home_ (http://www.fcc.gov/)  | _Search_ (http://www.fcc.gov/searchtools.html)  |
_RSS_ (http://www.fcc.gov/rss/)  | _Updates_
(http://www.fcc.gov/updates.html)  | _E-Filing_ (http://www.fcc.gov/e-file/)  | _Initiatives_
(http://www.fcc.gov/initiatives.html)  | _Consumers_ (http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/
consumers.html)  | _Find People_ (http://www.fcc.gov/people.html)
____________________________________
      (http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/809.html#skipfooter) Federal
Communications Commission
445 12th Street SW
Washington, DC  20554
_More FCC Contact  Information..._ (http://www.fcc.gov/contacts.html)
Phone: 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322)  TTY: 1-888-TELL-FCC
(1-888-835-5322)  Fax: 1-866-418-0232  E-mail: _fccinfo at fcc.gov_ (mailto:fccinfo at fcc.gov)
   - _Privacy  Policy_ (http://www.fcc.gov/fccprivacypolicy.html)
- _Website Policies &  Notices_ (http://www.fcc.gov/webpolicies.html)
- _Required  Browser Plug-ins_ (http://www.fcc.gov/plug-ins.html)
- _Freedom  of Information Act_ (http://www.fcc.gov/foia/)

In a message dated 3/27/2010 6:56:45 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,