[Nfbf-l] Tell them it is a Service Dog!

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 29 16:30:16 UTC 2010

Dear Kirk,

I believe that you are wrong in this one area of your presentation.
You do not, under the ADA have to carry or show anything to anyone, that
says that your dog is a service dog.
Some animals are privately trained or trained by their owner/user and
therefore can not be certified by a recognized agency.
These dogs are an acception and not the rule as most do come from agencies
such as "Seeing Eye", Southeast Guide Dog, or many of the other guide dog
schools.
These dogs all have a tattoo in their ear, an imbedded RF chip in their neck
and a special id disk on their collar.
By law, the only questions they can as of you are, "Is this a service
animal", and "What service does it perform for you."
If they ask more than this it is a ADA violation.
They must accept your word for it or violate the law.
The animal does not have to perform for them or do anything else.
Even being an employee of the TSA does not protect them from a civil lawsuit
if they go too far.
Under the latest ruling from the DOJ, only dogs and Mini horses are
considered to be true service animals.  Emotional support animals are not
considered service animals but are pets.  They do not have the protection of
the ADA.  They must be confined to a pet carrier if small enough or to the
baggage storage area if too large.

I am currently investigating why the TSA policy is that we, and our dogs,
can not be screened by walking through the full body scanners, like everyone
else and must and can only be cleared by the use of a pat down.
I just want them to explain to me why my dog can not go through the scanner
and I can, or the lady with small children can and my dog can't.
They just need to give me some reasons I can accept.
Otherwise , it just gives them another way to discriminate and set us aside
as profoundly different than everyone else.
If they don't have to touch me or my dog, so much the better.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.