[Nfbf-l] Tell them it is a Service Dog!

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 30 01:28:50 UTC 2010

Dear All,

As I understand it.  The ADA applies to all parts of the airport, and the
services supplied within, up to the beginning of the Jetway.
Upon boarding the airplane, the FAA Air Carriers Safety Act takes over
The aircraft do not need to meet ADA standards for access.  That is why you
don't see wheelchair accessible restrooms on them.  The aisleways do not
need to be wide enough for a wheelchair other than what is called a boarding
chair.  A boarding chair is a narrow wheelchair with no arm rest on it and
it can go down the narrow aisles of an airplane.
The elevators on the planes, that go up and down between levels in some
aircraft are too narrow for wheelchairs to enter.

The Air Carrier Safety Act allows the airlines to discriminate between the
Disabled and non-disabled.
They are designed to favor the non-disable in most every thing.
That is why , if you are Blind or have a physical disability, you are told
to sit quietly in your seat and wait for someone of the crew to come for
you.  The crew's first responsibility is the safety of the "normal"
passengers and the disabled is their last.
They don't want you getting in the way and blocking an exit.
  You are sacrificial and disposable.  That is their attitude and their
matter of fact view.

I learned this as part of development of the special "butterfly" valves I
use to test for the major airlines.  The valves inflate the 90 foot long
slides attached to the door exits.
As a Blind person, the Air Carrier Safety Act prevents anyone who is Blind
from even sitting in the emergency exit rows of an aircraft.
You must also follow all instructions, like them or not, that a airline
employee gives you or face arrest and removal from the aircraft.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.