[Nfbf-l] {Disarmed} Fwd: [NFBF-Leaders] Gubenitorial Proclamation Should Be Requested!!

REPCODDS at aol.com REPCODDS at aol.com
Fri Oct 1 15:20:11 UTC 2010

Someone please send a request to Governor Charlie Crist to proclaim Friday
, Oct. 15 as White Cane Safety Day in Florida.

White Cane Safety Day: A Symbol of Independence
by Marc  Maurer
In February of 1978 a young  blind lady said, “I encounter people all of
the time who bless me, extol my  independence, call me brave and courageous,
and thoroughly miss the boat as to  what the real significance of the white
cane is.”
The National Federation of the  Blind in convention assembled on the 6th
day of July, 1963, called upon the  governors of the fifty states to proclaim
October 15 of each year as White  Cane Safety Day in each of our fifty
states. On October 6, 1964, a joint  resolution of the Congress, HR 753, was
signed into law authorizing the  President of the United States to proclaim
October 15 of each year as “White  Cane Safety Day.” This resolution said: “
Resolved by the Senate and House of  Representatives…, that the President is
hereby authorized to issue annually a  proclamation designating October 15 as
White Cane Safety Day and calling upon  the people of the United States to
observe such a day with appropriate  ceremonies and activities.”
Within hours of the passage of  the congressional joint resolution
authorizing the President to proclaim  October 15 as White Cane Safety Day, then
President Lyndon B. Johnson  recognized the importance of the white cane as a
staff of independence for  blind people. In the first Presidential White Cane
Proclamation President  Johnson commended the blind for the growing spirit
of independence and the  increased determination to be self-reliant that the
organized blind had shown.  The Presidential proclamation said:
The white cane in our society  has become one of the symbols of a blind
person’s ability to come and go on  his own. Its use has promoted courtesy and
special consideration to the blind  on our streets and highways. To make our
people more fully aware of the  meaning of the white cane and of the need
for motorists to exercise special  care for the blind persons who carry it
Congress, by a joint resolution  approved as of October 6, 1964, has
authorized the President to proclaim  October 15 of each year as White Cane Safety
Day.
Now, therefore, I, Lyndon B.  Johnson, President of the United States of
America do hereby proclaim October  15, 1964 as White Cane Safety Day.
With those stirring words  President Johnson issued the first White Cane
Proclamation which was the  culmination of a long and serious effort on the
part of the National  Federation of the Blind to gain recognition for the
growing independence and  self-sufficiency of blind people in America, and also
to gain recognition of  the white cane as the symbol of that independence
and that  self-reliance.
The first of the state laws  regarding the right of blind people to travel
independently with the white  cane was passed in 1930. In 1966, Dr. Jacobus
tenBroek, the founder of the  National Federation of the Blind, drafted the
model White Cane Law. This model  act--which has become known as the Civil
Rights Bill for the Blind, the  Disabled, and the Otherwise Physically
Handicapped-–contains a provision  designating October 15 as White Cane Safety
Day. Today there is a variant of  the White Cane Law on the statute books of
every state in the  nation.
>From 1963 (and even before)  when the National Federation of the Blind
sought to have White Cane Safety Day  proclaimed as a recognition of the rights
of blind persons, to 1978 when a  blind pedestrian met with misunderstanding
regarding the true meaning of the  white cane, is but a short time in the
life of a movement. In 1963, a  comparatively small number of blind people
had achieved sufficient  independence to travel alone on the busy highways of
our nation. In 1978 that  number has not simply increased but multiplied a
hundredfold. The process  began in the beginning of the organized blind
movement and continues today.  There was a time when it was unusual to see a
blind person on the street, to  find a blind person working in an office, or to
see a blind person operating  machinery in a factory. This is still all too
uncommon. But it happens more  often and the symbol of this independence is
the white cane. The blind are  able to go, to move, to be, and to compete
with all others in society. The  means by which this is done is that simple
tool, the white cane. With the  growing use of the white cane is an added
element–-the wish and the will to be  free–-the unquenchable spirit and the
inextinguishable determination to be  independent. With these our lives are
changed, and the prospects for blind  people become bright. That is what White
Cane Safety Day is all about. That is  what we do in the National Federation
of the Blind
_Model  White Cane Law_
(http://www.nfb.org/nfb/model_white_cane_bill.asp?SnID=1772185191)

__._,_.___

_Reply  to sender_
(mailto:misteradvocate at mvtransit.com?subject=Gubenitorial Proclamation Should Be Requested!!)  | _Reply  to group_
(mailto:NFBF-Leaders at yahoogroups.com?subject=Gubenitorial Proclamation Should Be Requested!!)
 | _Reply  via web post_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NFBF-Leaders/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJxNDk4Mm51BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyMzA0OTc5BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2M
DY4MgRtc2dJZAMxMjU0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTI4NTk0NTczNg--?act=repl
y&messageNum=1254)  | _Start  a New Topic_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NFBF-Leaders/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmZTg4cmFmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyMzA0OTc5BGd
ycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MDY4MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEyODU5NDU3MzY-)
_Messages  in this topic_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NFBF-Leaders/message/1254;_ylc=X3oDMTM1OXM3MGV1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyMzA0OTc5BGdycHNwSWQD
MTcwNTA2MDY4MgRtc2dJZAMxMjU0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTI4NTk0NTczNgR0
cGNJZAMxMjU0)  (1)
Recent Activity:

_Visit  Your Group_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NFBF-Leaders;_ylc=X3oDMTJmcG5mcGh0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyMzA0OTc5BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MDY4MgRzZWM
DdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzEyODU5NDU3MzY-)

Ng--)
Switch to: _Text-Only_
(mailto:NFBF-Leaders-traditional at yahoogroups.com?subject=Change Delivery Format: Traditional) ,  _Daily  Digest_
(mailto:NFBF-Leaders-digest at yahoogroups.com?subject=Email Delivery: Digest)  •