[Nfbf-l] Fw: Florida May Repeal Red-Light Cam Law?

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 21 18:10:42 UTC 2011

Dear Jody,

Where did you get such information about them shortening the yellow lights.
The evidence shows that they have been lengthening the yellow light to
prevent rear end accidents caused by drivers stopping to avoid running the
light.
My own daughter has gotten tickets twice now for running the lights and I
think that it is a good thing.  I have been telling her for years that she
drives too fast and follows too close.
I for one want to see them stay.
One of my chapter members, back in December was struck by a car that failed
to stop before doing a Right on Red.  She was crossing the street, from the
bus stop, on her way to our Xmas party and suffered a broken pelvis in three
places.  She is now being forced to retire from the Palm Beach County
Emergency Management where she has worked as a blind person for 30 years.
If there had been a camera there at the light, maybe they would also have
the bastard's tag number and picture too.
I myself have been knocked down and hurt twice by hit and run drivers, who
knew they hit me, and once almost got me and my daughter of three years old,
but raced off to get away.  They were never caught.
If someone is breaking the Law and they get their picture taken, I say it is
evidence and not invasion.
Other wise we should make them take down all of the security cameras
everywhere at the banks, the stores, the ATM's, the Turnpike and even in
private homes and offices too.
Without the cameras, a law enforcement officer has to observe the violation
and chase the driver down and arrest or give them a ticket.  We can not
afford to have officers waste their time waiting at a light for someone to
break the law for which drivers break it far more that they get caught.  The
cameras are there and they are an unbiased witness to the crime.  The fact
that it takes your picture is up to each and every person who drives.  The
camera doesn't lie for anyone and claiming that it is there as a "trap" to
catch the innocent driver is bogus.  If you don't trip the camera, it won't
take your picture the length of the light is set by standard to the speed of
the street the light guards.  These are the poor claims of the guilty that
have been caught in their own folly.
People break the Law, not the cameras.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.