[Nfbf-l] It's time to call your Representative and Urge Passage of the Senate Budget

MisterAdvocate at aol.com MisterAdvocate at aol.com
Tue Mar 29 00:13:40 UTC 2011

Unlikely pair have
the blind in mind
Written by
Jim Ash
News Journal  capital bureau
12:00 AM, Mar. 28, 2011|
TALLAHASSEE — With the exuberance of a  typical 9-year-old, Alan Williams
ignored the rules and ran full speed through  the house — only to slam face
first into an open closet door.

Wearing an  eye patch for four days in
Tallahassee Memorial Hospital saved the vision in his damaged  eye.

Decades later, the close call has thrust the young, black liberal  Democrat
from
Tallahassee into the same obscure House club as Dennis Baxley,  a
middle-age, white, ultraconservative Republican from Ocala who until recently  worked
as
executive director of the Christian Coalition.

Few  legislators could be further apart on
the political spectrum. No two  legislators
both members of the "Vision Caucus" —
could be more dedicated to preserving
services for the blind and  visually impaired.

"I had an incident when I was a child, I have a friend  whose child is
visually impaired and my mother has been fighting glaucoma since  1980,"
Williams said.

This year, Williams is handing out legislative  business cards printed in
Braille. He is sponsoring a bill that would encourage  the rest of the
Legislature to do the same.

"If we're going to make  government more transparent, we're going to have
to make it transparent for  everyone," he said.

Baxley and his wife, Ginette, raised an
adopted  son, Jeffrey, who lost his vision as an infant. Navigating a
complicated system  of rehabilitative services, and grateful for the success they
brought his son,  Baxley founded the caucus in 2005.

When the committee chairman isn't
championing gun rights or anti-abortion
legislation, he is working  quietly behind the scenes with advocates to
protect the
Division of Blind  Services, an arm of the
Department of Education.

This year, as the  Legislature struggles with a $3.7 billion budget
shortfall, Baxley and his  fellow caucus members have their work cut out for  them.
On Thursday, House leaders put the final  touches on an education spending
proposal that would slash K-12 spending nearly  10 percent and cut $800,000
from the division.

DBS serves 36,000  Floridians and gets
most of its nearly $40 million budget from the federal  government.
Advocates say an $800,000 cut would seriously threaten a program  that serves about
1,000 blind babies a year.

Blind babies and another program that
serves blind and visually impaired seniors would be at greatest risk,
advocates say, because they get most of their funding from state general
revenue.

Baxley winces at the thought.

"Of course, these are times  when every
program is being asked what it can give,
not what it can  take," Baxley said. "But
blind babies ... As caucus members, we're just  going to have to hold our
position and see what we can do."

The Senate  does not propose cutting the division. Gov. Rick Scott's budget
proposal, which  calls for $5 billion in spending cuts, also does not
target blind  services.
If $450,000 was cut from the state's Blind  Babies program, it would
translate into 180 unfunded babies. A similar amount of  unfunded adults/seniors
would result from a $450,000 cut," said Skip Koch,  executive director of the
Florida Association of Agencies Serving the Blind. "We  encourage the
acceptance and passage of the
Senate's version."

House  Democratic leader Ron Saunders of Tavernier said the threat to the
program  proves that Republicans aren't just looking to trim fat.

"This says a lot  about their priorities,"
Saunders said. "We're not just talking about laying  off a bunch of
bureaucrats; we're talking about blind  babies."