[Nfbf-l] {Disarmed} Fw: Act Now: Senate to Vote on Slashed Budget

Carlos J MontasAS carlos.montas at gmail.com
Mon May 2 23:41:34 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: Sarah Peterson - JFA Moderator
To: carlos.montas at gmail.com
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2011 8:51 AM
Subject: Act Now: Senate to Vote on Slashed Budget

                  American Association of People with Disabilities Newsletter  JFA is a free service of the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD)

                        In This Issue
                        Action Alert: Tell Your Senators to Oppose Medicaid Block Grants
                        Social Security: Changes and Threats
                        White House and DOJ Report Progress in Disability Rights Advocacy
                        Chase Community Giving on Facebook (Vote for AAPD)
                        Health Reform Implementation: Electronic Health Records, Community First Choice Option, and 20 FAQs
                        Action Alert: Tell Your Congressmen to Support Free and Appropriate Education for Students with Disabilities
                        Also New to the JFActivist Blog: Voter Rights in Danger, Seclusion & Restraint Bill Reintroduced, DOT Policy Plan for the Year, Panera Access Survey
                        Action Alert: Tell Your Senators to Oppose Medicaid Block Grants
                        From the Center for Disability Rights (4.27.11):

                        Action Alert: Oppose Medicaid Block Grants

                        Urge Senate Finance Committee and Your Senators to Fight Medicaid Cuts

                        The recent budget proposal passed by the U.S. House of Representatives would seriously undermine Medicaid, cutting the program by a total of $772 billion from the current funding level.  That's a 35 percent reduction.  In addition, the proposal would cap the reduced amount of funding as a block grant.  If enacted, the States would have to implement additional cuts or provide additional state funding to make up for the lost federal funds.  States are faced with significant budget shortfalls now, so it's clear that this approach would mean that states would eliminate Medicaid services, cap enrollment, and impose high premiums and co-payments for Medicaid beneficiaries.

                        The battle over cuts to Medicaid is likely to involve a series of critical decisions and votes.  Medicaid pays for vital health care as well as services and supports for people with disabilities.  It's important that we let Congress know that we oppose block granting and cutting Medicaid.  Please "Take Action" here

                        Urge your Senators to work to sustain Medicaid as the critical safety net for millions of seniors and people with disabilities and DEFEND - NOT DEFUND - OUR FREEDOM!

                        ********

                        What do Medicaid Block Grants Mean for PWDs?
                        From the National Council on Aging (4.25.11):

                        Webinar on Implication of Medicaid Block Grants

                        The Friday Morning Collaborative is a coalition of national aging and disability organizations working together to protect and strengthen Medicaid Home and Community Based Services.  With support from The SCAN Foundation, the coalition is hosting a series of webinars to provide information and resources to state advocates.  We invite you to join the following webinar:

                        Implications of Medicaid Block Grants and Spending Caps for Seniors and People with Disabilities

                        Friday, May 6, 2:00 - 3:30PM ET

                        >>> To Register

                        >>> For More or to Comment

                        Social Security: Changes and Threats

                        You're Invited: Social Security Under Threat Webinar Series
                         From CCD (4.28.11):
                        SAVE THE DATE FOR

                        Social Security Under Threat!

                        May 19, 2011 (Thursday) 1:00 - 3:00 p.m. EDT       Social Security 101

                        This webinar will explain the basics of the social insurance safety net that is created by the Social Security retirement, disability, and survivors programs.

                        June 1, 2011 (Wednesday) 1:00 - 3:00 p.m. EDT      Social Security Reform Proposals

                        Building on Social Security 101, this webinar will explain the specific reforms that have been proposed by organizations/commissions and those contained in bills introduced by Members of Congress. It will explain their likely effects on the solvency of the Social Security trust funds.  A primary focus of the webinar will be to examine the impact of these proposed changes on benefits received by program beneficiaries, specifically, how the proposals, if implemented, would affect people with disabilities, the elderly, and families who rely on the Social Security safety net.

                        >>> For More or to Comment

                        ***********

                        Social Security Goes Electronic - No More Paper Checks

                        From Allsup (4.28.11):

                        Social Security Benefits Go Electronic May 1

                        Paper checks no longer an option for anyone applying for federal benefits

                        Anyone applying for federal benefits on or after May 1, 2011, will receive payments electronically, as the U.S. Department of Treasury phases out paper checks...

                         >>> For More or to Comment

                        White House and DOJ Report Progress in Disability Rights Advocacy

                        From AAPD (4.29.11):

                        White House Monthly Disability Briefings
                        By Jenifer Simpson, Government Affairs, AAPD

                        On Thursday April 28, AAPD participated again in the monthly disability outreach call that is conducted by Kareem Dale, Special Assistant to the President for Disability Policy. These briefings focus on recent Administration leadership efforts and include key speakers working on disability policy and are open to anyone in the disability community, but are not press briefings. This call included some updates about the White House website in addition to presentations from Michael Strautmanis, who is Chief of Staff to  Valerie Jarrett (who is Assistant to the President for Intergovernmental Relations and Public Liaison) on Autism Awareness Month and by Mazen Basrawi, Counsel to the Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights at the U.S. Department of Justice on ADA enforcement efforts...

                        >>> For More or to Comment

                        Chase Community Giving on Facebook (vote for AAPD!)

                        From AAPD (4.25.11):

                        Chase Community Giving has a contest twice a year on Facebook that lets people vote for their favority charity. The organizations with the most votes can win up to $500K. Please circulate this information, go on and vote if you are on Facebook, and tell your friends and family!

                        Here is the info:

                         PLEASE take a minute out of your day and vote for AAPD in the Chase Community Giving contest. Thank you so much, and please tell your friends to vote, too!

                         >>> Vote for AAPD

                        MODERATOR, Sarah Peterson, JUSTICE FOR ALL -- A Service of the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD).

                        To respond to a JFA email, submit an article, or contact the moderator, email her at jfa at aapd.com.

                        ACCESSIBILITY: To request to receive a text-only version of this and every JFA newsletter rather than the html version, please contact the moderator at jfa at aapd.com.

                        DISCLAIMER: The JFA listserv is designed to share information of interest to people with disabilities and promote dialogue in the disability community. Information circulated does not necessarily express the views of AAPD. The JFA listserv is non-partisan.

                        JFA ARCHIVES: All JFA postings from 1995 through October 2007 are available on the AAPD website. Archives of news and other articles featured on JFA since October 2007 are available by category and date on the JFActivist blog.

                        Share JFA

                        Quick Links
                        Become an AAPD Member

                        JFActivist Blog

                        Health Reform Implementation

                        Health Reform's Community First Choice Option Progresses Toward October Implementation
                        From AAPD (4.28.11):

                        Medicaid Community First Choice Option: Rules Pending

                        By David Heymsfeld, Policy Advisor, AAPD

                        >>> For More or to Comment

                        *********

                        AAPD Testifies about Patient and Provider Concerns in Transition to Electronic Health Records
                        From AAPD (4.29.11):

                        AAPD's Senior Director for Government Affairs Jenifer Simpson testified to a federal advisory committee on the need for accessible and usable health information technology.

                        >>> For More or to Comment

                        *********

                         From United Spinal Association (4.18.11)

                        Health Reform Resource: 20 Most Common Questions Answered
                        In recognition of the first anniversary of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act's enactment on March 23, 2010, United Spinal has created a document for people with disabilities interested in Health Care and Health Reform.  This document answers commonly asked questions...

                        >>> Read the FAQs and

                        >>> Test Your Knowledge in the Health Reform Quiz

                        >>> For More or to Comment

                        Action Alert: Tell Your Congressmen to Support Free and Appropriate Education for Students with Disabilities

                        From CCD (4.21.11):

                        ACTION ALERT:

                        CALL/EMAIL CONGRESS TO COSPONSOR

                        IDEA FAIRNESS RESTORATION ACT, WEDNESDAY, MAY 4, 2011

                        ON WEDNESDAY, MAY 4, 2011, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SENATORS AND REPRESENTATIVE AND ASK THEM TO COSPONSOR THE IDEA FAIRNESS RESTORATION ACT (S.613 AND H.R. 1208). This bill will allow parents to recover expert witness fees when they prevail in due process hearings and court actions under the IDEA.

                        >>> For More Information or to Comment

                        New Discrimination Protections for PWD in NJ

                        From AAPD (4.26.11):

                        Disability advocates have become concerned about an new trend of discriminating against the unemployed. Some employers have started including a requirement in job postings that applicants be currently employed.  Because of the high unemployment rate of PWDs,  these discriminatory requirements have a higher impact on our community. Last week, New Jersey became the first state to bar employers from publishing job advertisements that exclude the unemployed.

                        >>> For More or to Comment

      Forward email

            This email was sent to carlos.montas at gmail.com by jfa at aapd.com |
            Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribeT | Privacy Policy.

      American Association of People with Disabilities | 1629 K Street, NW | Suite 950 | Washington | DC | 20006