[Nfbf-l] Transportation secretary Hood praises new accessable Taxi program in Capitol!

Kirk kvharmon54 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 20:11:58 UTC 2011

Just passing along to all concerned!Kirk

US Deparment of Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood praised the new rollDC
accessible taxi cab program recently on his FastLane blog:

--Excerpt--

  Until now, people in wheelchairs have relied on fixed route transit and
paratransit to get around our nation's capital.  But both of those
services--outstanding as they are--only serve a limited area and run limited
schedules.

  Now, rollDC offers people with disabilities on-demand transportation
options to go wherever they want, whenever they want, be it a late-night
concert or an early-morning church service.  As [DOT Senior Advisor for
Accessible Transportation] Richard Dyvelder said, "It gives people with
disabilities a lot more flexibility."

--Excerpt--

Read the rest of Secretary LaHood's post here.

The rollDC program is funded largely out of the Federal Transit
Administration's New Freedom program, designated for communities to provide
accessible transportation services and accommodations above and beyond what
is required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The program was
identified for funding through the Metropolitan Washington Council of
Governments' Coordinated Human Services Transportation Plan.  This
Coordination Plan [PDF] is required for communities to receive funding
through FTA's New Freedom, Job Access/Reverse Commute and Transportation for
Elderly Individuals and Individuals with Disabilities programs.

The Coordination Plan is one of the primary tools of the United We Ride
model to improve coordination of human services and public transportation
services.  The Coordinating Council on Access and Mobility supports
coordinated planning at the local, regional and state level to identify gaps
in services as well as opportunities for better cooperation in service
provision.

Just thought I would pass this along for all concerned! Kirk
This service is provided to you at no charge by United We Ride. Visit us on
the web at http://www.unitedweride.gov/.  If you have any questions or
update your subscriptions, password or e-mail address at any time click
here.

      This email was sent to hutchinson at ctaa.org using GovDelivery, on
behalf of: United We Ride · 400 7th Street, SW · Washington DC 20590 · (202)
366-4000

Kirk Harmon
President & CEO
Florida Disabled Citizens
for Progress
P.O.Box 61794
Jacksonville, FL 32236
Call  our Toll  Free number: 1-888-955-fdcp
PH(904) 783-9896
Cell: (407) 473-2176
DAV/BVA
Life Member
FCB/NFB member

Please check out our website: www.fdcp.org and  link on to our "How you can
Help" Every little bit You can help will help many!  We at the FDCP,Inc.
Thank You!"

TURNING HOPE INTO REALITY"