[Nfbf-l] Complaint against Amtrak

Patricia A. Lipovsky plipovsky at cfl.rr.com
Mon Aug 20 12:53:45 UTC 2012

    Just passing this along.

From: "Bob Acosta" <
boacosta at pacbell.net>
Date: August 19, 2012 11:37:02 PM CDT
To: <acb-l at acb.org>
Subject: [acb-l] Complaint against Amtrak

August 19, 2012 2:42 PM

Debbie Grubb presented the following report on behalf of GDUI Past  President, Jenine Stanley.

(Report begins:

Last August I filed a complaint on behalf of a graduate and several staff  members of the Guide dog Foundation / America's Vetdogs against Amtrak. In
this case, which was found to have been replicated with several other people  around the country including our graduates, Amtrak agents staffing the phone
line for disability accommodations demanded excessive information from anyone stating that he or she had a service dog when buying tickets on  Amtrak,
either via telephone or through a ticket agent at a station.   The  case went through the Department of Justice to the Federal Transit Authority  which
governs Amtrak.

I received a note this Monday, August 13, that the FTa has investigated the  case and found that Amtrak's questioning and demands for additional  information
were excessive and inappropriate. FTA has counseled Amtrak on  proper procedures for accommodating people with service animals.
If anyone in your affiliate should experience additional questioning from  Amtrak ticket agents beyond "Is that a service animal?" and "How does that
animal assist with your disability""please contact me immediately.

I appreciate your help in keeping Amtrak honest about its practices.

Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com