[Nfbf-l] Fw: Fwd: Fw: Urgent Calls Needed by Thursday 7/26!

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 26 14:49:12 UTC 2012

Dear Jody,

Give me a break?

This has nothing to do with taking the power away from any country and
placing it in the hands of the UN.
It is an effort to get backward countries to treat People with Disabilities
with some dignity and common sense.
This country, and a few other industrialized countries are the only ones
where the disabled even have Rights.
In some foreign countries, today, you are a second or third class citizen if
you have a disability.
This means that you are treated with no regard as a person.
I have personally seen this behavior and know people who have come from
other countries where you are not allowed to leave your yard without a
"keeper,' or someone to be responsible for you and your conduct.
In the Middle East, you are treated like the "crazy old aunt" that is kept
locked up in the basement.  No one , outside of the family is allowed to see
you or talk to you.
You are hidden from society, not allowed to marry or have children and the
family is ashamed of you.  .
If you have a physical disability, such as being in a wheelchair, there are
no rights to access.  There are no curb cuts in China, no accessible hotel
rooms, stores ,shops or factories.  Ask the members of the Para-Olympic
Games that when to China for the last Olympics.
If you are allowed to work, it is in a sweat shop and only covers your room
and board, nothing else.
You have no Rights to protest any treatment you get, including beatings or
sexual abuse.
By being a signature to this treaty, we can hold other countries accountable
and pressure them to change their ways and conduct toward the disabled.
The treaty will effect the U.S. very little as we already have the ADA and
Rehab Act to protect and promote access and humanain treatment of the
disabled.
In several foreign countries, especially Asia and the Middle East, disable
children are forced to under go sterilization or just die or be quietly
killed, or they are used in the "tourism sex" trade.
The treaty doesn't give any power to force another country to do anything it
doesn't want to do.
It does allow the signature countries to set model standards of treatment
and accessibility to make living conditions better for People With
Disabilities in housing, employment, medical treatment and civil rights.

This stupid Right Wing view of everything that government does is wrong
headed and begs the question, "What kind of human being are you?"
If you are not for humane treatment, universal access and the Right of Self
Determination for the Disabled, then you are for enslavement, political,
economic and sexual exploitation of the Disabled.  Where do you stand?

I am calling both our Senators today and telling them, to bring it to the
floor for a vote and then please vote for the treaty or don't expect any
support from me at election time and that goes for their party as well.

David Evans and GD Jack.