[Nfbf-l] Important: Submitted for your Approval -- Proposed Constitutional Amendment.

Dan Hicks danjhicks at yahoo.com
Sat May 19 17:47:21 UTC 2012

Fellow NFBF Members,

As Rod Serling used to say in the beginning minutes of "The Twilight Zone,"
'Submitted for your approval."

Some of you may recall that at our 2011 NFBF Convention, we approved an
amendment to the constitution which changed and simplified the way chapters
designate their representatives.

During this convention, I mentioned another amendment that I wish to see
passed, and will be voted on at this year's convention.

ARTICLE IV:  ELECTIONS

Now reads:

ARTICLE IV:  ELECTIONS

Elections shall be conducted by a majority vote of the active members
present and voting at an annually held business meeting.  Election shall be
by voice vote, standing vote, show of hands, roll call vote, or secret
ballot.  Secret marked ballots shall be required upon the request of any
active member present and voting.  There shall be no proxy voting.  If no
nominee receives a majority vote on the first ballot, the name of the person
receiving the fewest votes shall be dropped from the list of nominees, and a
second ballot shall be taken.  This procedure shall continue until one of
the nominees has received a majority vote from the active members present
and voting.

 Proposed Change:

ARTICLE IV:  ELECTIONS

Elections shall be conducted by a majority vote of the active members
present and voting at an annually held business meeting.  Election shall be
by voice vote, standing vote, show of hands, roll call vote, or secret
ballot.  Secret marked ballots shall be required upon the request of a
majority of the active member present and voting.  There shall be no proxy
voting.  If no nominee receives a majority vote on the first ballot, the
name of the person receiving the fewest votes shall be dropped from the list
of nominees, and a second ballot shall be taken.  This procedure shall
continue until one of the nominees has received a majority vote from the
active members present and voting.

I am putting this out now so that we can talk about it and debate its merits
via NFBF-L before the start of convention.

Let me just say that we spend something like 45 minutes each convention
passing out, collecting, and counting secret ballots at our conventions.
This year, the number of offices up for vote could make this time grow to an
hour or more. We usually have about 120 people voting the final day of
convention. That's 120 collective hours - the equivalent of five twenty-four
hour days - of valuable convention time that we waste on a procedure which a
majority of us may not want.

Please note that my proposed amendment does not eliminate secret balloting;
it just changes our constitution to call for a secret ballot only if the
majority of the members present and voting wish to have it.

Please take a look at this and give it your consideration. Feel free to
share your thoughts.

Dan Hicks, President

NFB of Florida

"It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars."

                                                     -Garrison Keillor