[Nfbf-l] Important: Submitted for your Approval -- Proposed Constitutional Amendment.

Nallym Bravo nbrav003 at fiu.edu
Sun May 20 09:35:03 UTC 2012

Hello Dan and all,

I have to say that I cannot agree with such an amendment. While I understand the need for a timely election process, we all know that even one vote can make a difference. It is idealistic to believe that in an organization where many of us have known and worked with each other for years knowing how one person votes would not create friction and hard feelings. Having the choice to request a secret ballot on an individual basis insures that every member can feel comfortable voting for who he/she believes can do the job best and not whose feelings will be hurt etc.

Yes, last year the elections did take a long time, and of course it is not fun to sit there for a couple of extra hours. However, what's a couple of hours when compared to the two years the elected member will be in office?

I agree that it would be great if votes could be dropped into a sealed box to maintain total secrecy and prevent ballots from being damaged or lost.

When I was an active member of my sorority, all of our voting was done in secret if there were more sisters running for a position than those who had been slated by the nominating committee. Often, voting would go on long into the night, but it was one of the ways we ensured we would have the best board possible and it was a safe environment for everyone. The same was done even for voting on amendments to bylaws and even on the girls who would become pledges. It was time consuming and not the most glamourous part, but it ensured the strength and endurance of the organization. Just my thoughts.

Best,
Nallym