[Nfbf-l] doctors Offices

Jody W. Ianuzzi jody at thewhitehats.com
Thu May 24 15:17:54 UTC 2012

Hello RJ,

I agree with your O&M instructor.  It would not be appropriate for them to
show you around every new environment.  the job of the O&M instructor is to
teach you how to deal with new environments yourself.  There are limitless
places you will go in life and there won't be someone there every time you
find yourself in some place new.

The first thing I do when I enter a new doctor's office is to listen for the
sounds around me.  If I don't pick up on the sounds of the reception area I
will ask in a quiet voice hoping a waiting patient hears me if they can tell
me where to go.  If no one hears me I will just say in a loud voice "Good
morning" and that will usually get their attention.  I take directions.
After signing in I might ask which way to an empty seat.  When they call my
name I approach the person and I ask if I might take their arm as sighted
guide is the fastest way around the office.

You have to keep a sense of humor too.  Once when at the eye doctor's office
the person called my name and walked away.  I went to where she was standing
and just waited for her to come back.  She came back and apologized for
leaving me there and I joked that if I could follow her I wouldn't need the
appointment.

JODY