[Nfbf-l] Termites, Chapters and Changing What It Means To Be Blind

REPCODDS at aol.com REPCODDS at aol.com
Mon Sep 10 16:43:24 UTC 2012

Termites, Chapters, and Changing What It Means to Be Blind

by Ray Martin

Ray Martin
>From the Editor: In recent weeks I have been privy to  some grumbling,
particularly from the sort of young, energetic, creative  Federationists who are
the dream of every committed chapter or state president.  Folks like these
are needed by every organization. As the years go by, we will  count on them
to assume the mantle of leadership. The murmurers are voicing  their
dissatisfaction with what goes on (or doesn?t go on) in chapter meetings.  They
want more projects, more challenge, and less empty talk. They have  understood
what the NFB is about, and they are ready to go do something  constructive
to change the status quo, not sit back and complain about what is  wrong.

None of this is a surprise. The challenge we face is how to spend enough
time building the infrastructure of the chapter or affiliate to keep it
together  while channeling the energy and creativity of the young to generate the
programs  and activities that have always characterized our movement. Lean
too far in one  direction, and we stultify and lose committed, active
members; lean too far the  other way, and we gallop off in all directions and
dissipate our focus and  efficiency.

I know of no formula that can be applied to every chapter and affiliate to
achieve the perfect balance. I do know that leaders have an absolute duty
to  listen to young voices and allow them to shake us up and out of the rut
of the  way things have always been done. I also know that, if we are to
continue to  succeed, young and enthusiastic members must make the effort to
attend meetings  and demonstrate their willingness to roll up their sleeves and
work to share  their vision of what we can accomplish. Wherever everyone
focuses on making  chapters healthy and active and on drawing everyone into
its decision-making  process, all blind people will benefit, and the NFB will
grow and be well  served.

The following message and newspaper article were circulated by Ray Martin,
president of the Utah County Chapter of the National Federation of the
Blind of  Utah, to his chapter members. The message seemed a good reminder to us
all at  the beginning of a new year. This is what Ray Martin says:

As another new year comes in, I reflect on the growth and changes that we
have made as a state affiliate and a chapter. The National Federation of the
 Blind gives us each opportunities to work together and to change what it
means  to be blind. We have the chance to set in motion events that will
change the  lives of blind people around each of us and throughout the entire
state. But if  we put our personal agendas first and seek to foster our own
careers at the  expense of our shared philosophy and commitment to mentoring,
we will have  failed our common dream even while we may have individually
succeeded in gaining  stature in the organization.

The NFB has great leaders both locally and nationally. As I look at these
powerful leaders, two conditions for their emergence seem always to be
present:  a persuasive and selfless leader and a critical mass of willing members
that  provide the leaven to raise the whole. Whether or not we have the
personal  characteristics and drive to become leaders, we should all try to be
a part of  that critical mass of willing members.

A telling analogy from the animal kingdom can be found in the remarkable
mounds built by the compass termites in Northern Australia, which have a
north-south orientation to keep the temperature and humidity of their brooding
chambers constant. Thus the flat side of the mound faces the rising sun to
cope  with the early morning chill, while the steep roof deflects the heat
when the  sun is overhead. But what is most remarkable, according to Michael
Talbot, in  his book, Beyond the Quantum, is that: ?No single termite could
ever accomplish  such a miracle of engineering. ... Even three or four
termites gathered together  are equally helpless. But keep adding termites one by
one and sooner or later a  sort of critical mass is reached, and as if the
truth had suddenly dawned upon  them, they gather into work crews and begin
cementing grains of sand together  with their saliva, building arches and
connecting columns until the expertly  designed fortress that will ultimately
become their home grows like some strange  flower around them.?

This is a fascinating biological phenomenon that has some relation to human
 society, and more especially to the National Federation of the Blind. I
think a  state affiliate could be seen as a critical mass of good individuals
who work  together to accomplish much more than any individual could ever
achieve alone.  As we work together, we will continue to accomplish great
things.