[Nfbf-l] CINEMARK ANNOUNCES GREATER MOVIE THEATRE ACCESSIBILITY FOR CUSTOMERS WHO ARE BLIND AND VISUALLY IMPAIRED

Alan Dicey adicey at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 27 21:33:37 UTC 2012

CINEMARK ANNOUNCES GREATER MOVIE THEATRE ACCESSIBILITY FOR CUSTOMERS WHO ARE
BLIND AND VISUALLY IMPAIRED
September 27, 2012 - Plano, Texas

Cinemark Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: CNK), one of the world's largest motion
picture exhibitors, today announced that it is providing an audio
description option for people who are blind or have visual impairments in
all of its first-run theatres. Cinemark is installing audio description
systems on a rolling basis across its circuit in conjunction with the
chain's conversion to an all-digital format. Installation is already well
under way, and all of Cinemark's theaters in California already have audio
description capability. Cinemark will be able to offer audio description at
all of its first-run theaters by mid 2013.

In audio description (also known as descriptive narration) a narrator
provides vocal description of key visual aspects of a movie, such as
descriptions of scenery, facial expressions, costumes, action settings, and
scene changes, described audibly during natural pauses in dialogue or
critical sound elements. Narration of these elements is then woven into the
soundtrack of the program or film, so that the finished version is a mix of
program audio and descriptive narration. The description, which is provided
by movie studios, is available only to members of the audience who choose to
receive it via personal headsets and a receiver provided at the theater.

The California Council of the Blind (CCB), a consumer advocacy organization
of people who are blind and visually impaired, and individual blind Cinemark
movie patrons applauded Cinemark's commitment. Cinemark has worked closely
with CCB and individual patrons with visual impairments on its audio
description initiative.

Rio Popper, an eleven year old sixth grader who lives in Redwood City,
California, was thrilled with Cinemark's announcement: "Going to a movie
with audio description is way more fun than having to have my parents or
friends tell me what's happening on the screen. There's a Cinemark movie
complex near my house that has already installed the equipment and I love
going there."

Donna Pomerantz, president of the California Council of the Blind, also
praised Cinemark's announcement: "We are pleased with Cinemark's support for
audio description. This national initiative makes first-run movies available
to millions of patrons who are blind and visually impaired. They deserve to
participate in this quintessential American experience."

Cinemark selected the Fidelio audio description system from Burbank-based
Doremi Cinemas LLC to provide descriptive narration to audience members who
desire the service.

"Cinemark was pleased to collaborate with the CCB and some of our blind
patrons," said Michael Cavalier, General Counsel and Senior Vice President
of Cinemark, USA, Inc. "The conversion to digital cinema has facilitated the
development of audio description systems like Fidelio. We now have a
platform that makes full implementation of an audio description system
viable. Cinemark has worked closely with our suppliers to make certain that
we are providing the highest quality descriptive narration system," he
added.

Michael Archer, Vice President of Digital Cinema at Doremi noted, "When we
began the in-house design of the Fidelio product, we worked closely with
Cinemark, our long-term partner, to create a viable, high-quality system
that provides audio description for digital cinema. We are pleased to have
this opportunity to work with Cinemark to provide described movies to their
patrons across the country."

About Cinemark Holdings, Inc.
Cinemark is a leading domestic and international motion picture exhibitor,
operating 461 theatres with 5,207 screens in 39 U.S. states, Brazil, Mexico
and 11 other Latin American countries as of June 30, 2012. For more
information go to investors.cinemark.com.

Press Contact for Cinemark
James Meredith Vice President, Marketing jmeredith [at] Cinemark [dot] com
972.665.1060
Lainey Feingold
Law Office of Lainey Feingold
http://LFLegal.com