[Nfbf-l] H.R. 831 Fair Wages, Harper sponsored today

valkemadenise at aol.com valkemadenise at aol.com
Wed Feb 27 15:45:18 UTC 2013

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Release Date:
Wednesday, February 27, 2013
Category:
National
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
cdanielsen at nfb.org
National Federation of the Blind Applauds Introduction of Fair Wages
Legislation

Urges Passage of Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act

Baltimore, Maryland (February 27, 2013): The National Federation of the
Blind, the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind
Americans, today applauded the introduction of the Fair Wages for
Workers with Disabilities Act of 2013 (H.R. 831) by Representative
Gregg Harper (R-MS).  Congressman Harper, along with eleven original
co-sponsors, introduced the Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities
Act of 2013 to repeal section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act,
and to phase out the discriminatory practice of paying workers with
disabilities pennies per hour.

Congressman Gregg Harper said: “Section 14(c) of the FLSA, enacted out
of ignorance about the true capacity of people with disabilities,
currently prevents over 300,000 people with disabilities from gaining
access to the work and training environments that have been proven to
be more cost effective and to produce more competitive integrated work
outcomes.  Subminimum-wage work is just an expression of low
expectations that instills a false sense of incapacity in individuals,
who could become competitively employed with the proper training and
support.”

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind,
said: “The National Federation of the Blind and our partners
representing the 55 million Americans with disabilities fight every day
to obtain the fundamental freedoms that nondisabled citizens take for
granted.  We applaud Congressman Harper for having the courage to
confront over seventy years of entrenched but false thinking about the
capacity of people with disabilities.  We strongly urge his colleagues
in both houses of the United States Congress to exhibit the same
courage by recognizing our right to have the same workforce protections
as every other American citizen.”

The National Federation of the Blind needs your support to ensure that
blind children get an equal education, to connect blind veterans with
the training and services they need, and to help seniors who are losing
vision continue to live independent and fulfilling lives. To make a
donation, please go to www.nfb.org.

###

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB) is the oldest, largest, and
most influential nationwide membership organization of blind people in
the United States. Founded in 1940, the NFB advocates for the civil
rights and equality of blind Americans, and develops innovative
education, technology, and training programs to provide the blind and
those who are losing vision with the tools they need to become
independent and successful. We need your support. To make a donation,
please go to www.nfb.org.