[Nfbf-l] Israeli Startup's Seeing Aid for the Blind Sees Big Demand

Alan Dicey adicey at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 2 20:21:32 UTC 2013

Israeli Startup's Seeing Aid for the Blind Sees Big Demand
By Gwen Ackerman - July 2, 2013
Amnon Shashua had a vision of using technology to help the visually
impaired. His startup OrCam is quickly making a global impact.
OrCam makes a small gizmo that hooks onto a pair of glasses and tells the
wearer what's in front of him. It can read the text of a book aloud, or
announce the names of friends and family in a room.
The Israeli company began taking orders for the $2,500 seeing-aid device on
June 4, and within a few weeks, the first run of 600 units were sold out,
Shashua, the co-founder and chief executive officer, said in an interview.
Since then, the company's backlog of orders has ballooned to more than
1,000.

OrCam has been manufacturing the product in Israel. To keep up with demand,
Shashua said the startup plans to relocate production to China. He has
experience there. His other company, Mobileye, uses Chinese manufacturing
for its products designed to help prevent auto collisions.

Liat Negrin, 37, has been testing early prototypes at OrCam. She was born
visually impaired, and said the device can help her and others accomplish
everyday tasks like going shopping without fear of getting lost or buying
the wrong items.
"It helps you be independent and helps overcome fears," Negrin said in an
interview. "It helps you keep your orientation, and you always know where
you are."

The OrCam consists of a camera and earpiece that attaches to eyeglasses.
Live video from the camera feeds into a smartphone-size device in the user's
pocket, which processes the data and sends an audio snippet saying what it
sees to the bone-conduction speaker in the user's ear. Because the video
feed is processed in the pocket instead of in the cloud like many mobile
apps do, response times are quicker, Shashua said. Also, users won't be left
stranded when in areas that have poor mobile-data service.

"Imagine there is a helper standing next to you, seeing what you are
supposed to see, figuring out what visual information you want and
whispering into your ear what you are about to see," he said.
Shashua, who is also a professor of computer science at the Hebrew
University of Jerusalem, spent about three years developing OrCam's
technology. The current version of the tool only supports English, but the
20-person team is working on incorporating other European languages. OrCam
can recognize a wide array of objects including street signs, newspaper
articles, money and products on supermarket shelves. The device can also be
trained to identify faces. It costs about the same as a mid-range hearing
aid, and has the potential to be just as essential to people who need it.

"As the world population ages, we will see an increase in the visually
impaired," said Cheri Wiggs, a director at the U.S. National Institutes of
Health. "At this point, we aren't preventing or curing blindness so any new
development in assistive devices for visually impaired is very important."
Wiggs estimated that about 300 million people suffer from visual impairment
worldwide, with India having the largest percentage. Shashua estimates 50
million of the visually impaired may be able to afford the OrCam device.
The factories in China better get moving.

Source URL:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-02/israeli-startup-s-seeing-aid-for-the-blind-sees-big-demand.html
- - - -
Visit the hottest, most happening place around on the web. Where the blind
community will be inspired and entertained!
It's the BlindCafe.net and it's a great place to learn, laugh, chat and make
long lasting friendships with people from around the world.
There is always someone to greet you with a friendly smile night and day. It's
totally free! Come and try out our awesome stereo    music rooms, trivia
games, Chess Chats, Act in one of our Mystery Plays, Share your talent with
us, receive I-Phone Lessons and updates, we offer     tutorials on an array
of programs, we have over 600 described movies for you to listen to at your
convenience, Revisit a classic described T V show such as Leave it to Beaver
and Mash,    or just come on in and join us for an interactive chat, and a
whole lot more!
It's totally accessible and easy to use.
For more info, please Visit us at
www.BlindCafe.net
That's
www.BlindCafe.net
It's the site where our members matter the most!