[Nfbf-l] Fw: Hurricane Season Starts This Weekend

Patricia A. Lipovsky plipovsky at cfl.rr.com
Mon Jun 3 01:58:49 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: Patricia A. Lipovsky
To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;
Sent: Sunday, June 02, 2013 9:29 PM
Subject: Hurricane Season Starts This Weekend

Forwarding FYI

From: Ready Campaign [mailto:ready at service.govdelivery.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2013 9:20 AM
Subject: Hurricane Season Starts This Weekend: Are You Prepared?

Ready.gov logo

FEMA logo

Community members:

It's hurricane preparedness week! Did you know a hurricane is a type of tropical cyclone or severe tropical storm that forms in the southern Atlantic Ocean,
Caribbean Sea, Gulf of Mexico, and in the eastern Pacific Ocean? Get preparedness tips below.

This week we're excited to announce that for those of you who follow us on Twitter
@Readygov,
 we have a new hashtag dedicated to our community! Tweet all things preparedness with #NatlPrep.

add EVENT

INVITE friend

gradient

National Hurricane Prep Week

Hurricane season starts June 1. Make sure you and your family are prepared.
 Get tips here on how to prepare before, during, and after.

Do you have a hurricane story to share?
Weigh in here.

Prepare Your Property Now for a Future Storm

FEMA urges property owners to take steps now to minimize damage from future storms. To better protect your family and yourself in the event of an emergency,
ensure your home is a safe structure.

The following are some house maintenance tips from
Ready.gov,
FEMA.gov
 and
FloodSmart.gov
 on how to strengthen and protect your property from storms with sustained high wind speeds.

list of 1 items
. Cover all of your home's windows. Permanent storm shutters offer the best protection for windows. A second option is to board up windows with 5/8" marine
plywood, cut to fit and ready to install. Tape does not prevent windows from breaking. Install straps or additional clips to securely fasten your roof
to the frame structure. This will reduce roof damage. Be sure trees and shrubs around your home are well trimmed so they are more wind resistant.
Read more about the mitigation model of Louisiana homes using similar roof technology.
list end
list of 1 items
. Clear loose and clogged rain gutters and downspouts.
list end
list of 1 items
. Reinforce your garage doors. If wind enters a garage it can cause dangerous and expensive structural damage.
Read how two families updated their garages to minimize recent flood damage.
list end

For more information, go to
Ready.gov/hurricanes
 or
fema.gov/protect-your-property-or-business-disaster.

Final call for nominations: 2013 RICK RESCORLA NATIONAL AWARD FOR RESILIENCE

For more information on the Rick Rescorla National Award for Resilience and how to nominate an individual or organization, visit
www.dhs.gov/rick-rescorla-national-award-resilience
. The
nomination forms
 and supporting materials must be returned no later than May 31, 2013 in order to be considered for recognition in 2013.

Bookmark and Share

Ready.gov Logo

Questions?
Contact Us

STAY CONNECTED:

Visit Us on Facebook

Visit Us on Twitter

Sign up for email updates

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES:

Manage Preferences

Unsubscribe

Help

Privacy Policy
 | GovDelivery is providing this information on behalf of U.S. Department of Homeland Security, and may not use the information for any other purposes.

 on behalf of: Ready Campaign · U.S. Department of Homeland Security · Washington, DC 20528 · 202-282-8000