[Nfbf-l] latest update for Jim

Sherri flmom2006 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 23:14:59 UTC 2013

A promising new treatment and they're forging along! Sounds like more good
news!

Sherri

Written 31 minutes ago

Good afternoon, I wanted to share a link to a news article regarding a new
drug called Imbruvica (Ibrutinib) for MCL patients that was just approved
yesterday by the FDA. A While back, I heard about the drug when it was still
in the clinical trial phase. I first read that the approval would happen in
May of this year, then July, then September and so on. Jim and our family
was anxious for him to get on this drug until we found out back in
September, that the cancer had other plans and we had to move forward with
hyper-CVAD. However, During our last visit with Dr. Sotomayor, he agreed
that once Jim has completed his current treatment, if a bone marrow donor
cannot be obtained; and, if the drug has been approved by that time, he will
put jim on it. I know that there's no data in terms of long-term effects and
we do not know if it will actually extend life expectancy; however, the drug
shows great promise and Dr. Sotomayor says that some are calling it the
miracle drug. You can read the news article at:
http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/ap/2013/11/13/FDA_approves_new_drug_for_rare_blood_cancer.html#.UoUg8mjdy6c.facebook
Latest on jim. He will be getting a blood transfusion early tomorrow
morning. Hemoglobin is 7.6, white blood cell count is 0.5. There has been
some telltale signs of acid reflux which is interfering with his appetite.
He says he's just being cautious. It is challenging to get three meals a day
in him; however, we just keep forging ahead. Small amounts of food is better
than not eating at all; which is where he was a couple of weeks ago. Magic
mouthwash seems to be keeping the mouth sores at bay for the most part.
Anyway, that is about it for now. I hope everyone has a great weekend.
Again, thank you for the well wishes, prayers, phone calls and guest book
comments. We're truly greatful for having all of you in our lives. Kim
Sent from CaringBridge iPhone App

Sherri

Character is the side of yourself you choose to show the world.
Integrity is what you do, what you say and how you act when you think no one
is paying attention.
Sherri Brun
NFBF Newsline Chair
flmom2006 at gmail.com