[Nfbf-l] {Spam?} The Quest for Quickbooks for the Blind or Visually Impaired

Alan Dicey adicey at bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 5 00:40:53 UTC 2013

The Quest for Quickbooks
There's an old saying when it comes to knowing what will happen in the end;
"It's not over till the fat lady sings."
For twenty years and more, the blind and visually impaired have been waiting
for that climactic aria in the opera that might be titled "The Quest for
QuickBooks&reg", that is, for an ADA-compliant, usable QuickBooks&reg that
will give them access to the preeminent accounting software on a par with
sighted users.
Some in the audience had no choice but to give up on their quest.  "I'v
eonly attempted to access Quick Books a dozen or so times as there's really
nothing I can do with it and it gets me more frustrated every time I make an
attempt. I really need access to Quick Books to enhance my day to day
guiding of the company as finances and accurate bookkeeping are the
foundation to any successful business.", said John Wellslager.
In spite of the myriad of challenges posed over the years, others, out of
necessity, and with varying degrees of success, struggled to use the
available accounting programs by using any number of props and accessories
to bridge issues that remain present even today.
In the world of financial software, this is nothing new; consider the
experience of Richard Kelly. "I've been legally blind most of my life. In
1988 I began using computers, then screen readers in 1990, and by 1992, my
being able to use a screen or a monitor ended.  As my usable vision was
failing, I knew I had to find an accessible accounting computer program if I
had any hopes of maintaining my financial independence.  I started out with
Money Counts for DOS, moved up to Money Counts for Business and transitioned
to Quickbooks 3.0 for Windows when Intuit bought out, and retired Money
counts.  Presently, I am running Quickbooks Pro 2012".
Kelly continued, "Over the years I've heard, and continue to hear, you
cannot use Quickbooks with a screen reader. It's not "accessible".
None the less, I found it usable until the 2013 release which I found to be
neither "accessible" nor usable.  In my opinion, it had become utterly
worthless."
Sadly, there are always false finales. Most of us blind computer users, When
we do find a program that works, with no tweaking or scripting solution
required to bridge the digital divide, hold our breath and pray that it
stays usable and accessible as new releases and upgrades are made to the
core product. However, as is all too often the case, what starts out well
screeches to an abrupt halt when a program is rendered inaccessible due to
an operating system update or worse, an update to the core product by an
engineer or web designer with little understanding of accessibility issues,
which in and of itself renders the application useless.
For example, Julie Warrington had deep concerns when she first learned about
the initiative to make an accessible and usable version of Quick Books. "The
QB software is a major part of my employment, and I am very concerned that
if they break the accessibility work-a-rounds I have developed, I will be
out of a job."
Many of us have contacted software companies over the years to encourage
them to design accessibility into, or return lost accessibility to their
product.  Occasionally, we receive an empathetic response; but more often a
dismissive comment. Joleen Ferguson got the run around from various customer
service reps. with little or no appreciation for accessibility, "Albert, I
commend you.  You have a real battle on your hands.  I don't have the
confidence to believe that things will not quickly become outdated again
with next year's product update, but I strongly agree that we need choices.
My choice is to support the company that supports me and my needs."
Still others had the satisfaction of keeping track of their finances with an
earlier scripted version of Quicken® only to see accessibility denied by
a new and improved version of the accounting program.
Yes, there is something operatic about this; mistaken identities,
misdirected magic, broken hearts. The accessibility opera and performances
play on. Critics scoff on the sidelines, as they always do; with years of
soaring promises followed by dashed hopes, the community has grown
justifiably skeptical as to whether or not the Diva will ever take center
stage and belt out that high note.
Yet, for those who are desperate for access to QuickBooks®, there is
reason to remain hopeful. My Blind SpotT, a nonprofit organization founded
by Albert J. Rizzi, is championing accessibility for the blind and visually
impaired, by collaborating with Intuit, Inc. to make their preeminent small
business financial software truly accessible, usable, and ADA compliant.  My
Blind SpotT has successfully reached out to Intuit, at many levels, in order
to educate them in the efficacy of improving accessibility to their
financial products.
Kim Thurman is one of those hopeful individuals who are placing her trust in
My Blind SpotT and Intuit to bring an accessible option for financial
management to the community, "I am very intrigued with your efforts to
finally make Quickbooks accessible with screen readers.  I have attempted to
use the software several times over the years to no avail."
Then there are the real life stories, like the one highlighted in this video
produced by My Blind Spot and posted on YouTube. Dixie Sanderson's
circumstances are representative of the truths the blind community has lived
with, and continue to live   with, for far too long.
Through the combined efforts of the engineering teams at My Blind SpotT and
Intuit, the 20 year long, often seemingly Wagnerian, quest for accessible
QuickBooks® appears to be coming to an end. If you listen carefully, you
might hear the conductor tuning up the orchestra from the pit in preparation
for the final act. The soprano, waiting in the wings, is practicing her new
lyrics, changing from those of old "I had to dissolve my business and turn
to disability income" and rewritten by Sanderson to say "my contractors say
that when I can use QuickBooks, I will be their bookkeeper once again."
To that end, and opening to a wide audience and rave reviews, My Blind
SpotT, in concert with Intuit, will be raising the curtain on a usable and
accessible version of Quickbooks® for Windows appearing live on a
desktop near you.
The accessibility opera and performances play on. Critics abound, as they
always do, with years of soaring promises and dashed hopes, the community
has grown justifiably skeptical as to whether or not the Diva will ever take
center stage, and belt out that high note, full of promise and hope for an
accessible option in finance.  My Blind SpotT has, with the combined
attention of a composer and true maestro, orchestrated this performance and
intends to bring the curtain down, once and for all, on unfulfilled
expectations and broken promises. The community is approaching a huge
crescendo, sung loud and strong, promising hope and opportunity for people
of all abilities. Finally!
Please feel free to share this with your friends and colleagues. we would
also welcome your taking time to Like Us on Facebook  or subscribing to our
newsletter, The Clear View News by visiting
http://myblindspot.org/mailing-lists/
Albert J. Rizzi, M.Ed.
Founder and CEO
My Blind Spot, Inc.