[Nfbf-l] the latest upate on Holly and baby Janie Marie

Sherri flmom2006 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 09:43:43 UTC 2013

Holly asked me to pass these on to the list.
Sherri

Holly Idler updated her status: "JANIE MARIE UPDATE
Janie Marie had a very busy day, today. She got a picc line. The IJ line, in
her neck, will be coming out after shift change. It would have come out
already but the nurses found out is was stitched in so they could not remove
it. The doctor has too.
The swallow test. This test was done because they think when she drinks from
a bottle she aspirates fluid into her lungs. She nurses just fine but seems
to choke on breast milk or formula when it comes from a bottle. So, the test
was done while she nursed and bottle fed. She passed this test with flying
colors!
Now, that was the good news. The bad news is that she isn't gaining weight.
Since she passed the swallow test, the next step is to up her food intake
without her having to work so hard her it.
The plan: I nurse her every three hours while I'm here at the hospital. The
nurse brings in 1 oz of my frozen milk and puts it in the NG tube that goes
directly into her tummy. At night they will give her 2 oz of milk through
the tube. If she doesn't gain weight this way, they will add protein to the
breast milk they give her through the tube.
One day at a time, one baby step forward."