[Nfbf-l] Tech and Biotech, Wicab can start selling its BrainPort V100 in Canada.

Alan Dicey adicey at bellsouth.net
Sun Oct 20 14:20:16 UTC 2013

Tech and Biotech
State Journal business reporter <mailto:jdnewman at madison.com>Judy Newman
follows news and trends about the technology and biotechnology sectors in
the Madison area.
Middleton medical device company http://www.wicab.com/
Wicab can start selling its BrainPort V100 in Canada.

The BrainPort V100 is a non-surgical device that helps blind people "see,"
letting them recognize the shape and size of nearby objects by translating
signals on their tongue.

A video camera mounted on a pair of sunglasses sends messages to an
electrode plate that sits on the user's tongue. Black, white and gray images
convey different signals, creating what users describe as "pictures that are
painted on the tongue with tiny bubbles," according to Wicab.

Canadian approval is "an important sign of progress" and sales there can
start immediately, said Wicab chief executive Robert Beckman. The Canadian
National Institute for the Blind has agreed to train potential customers,
and a commercial distributor in Toronto is on board, he said.

That's a lot different from the situation in Europe, where the BrainPort
V100 was approved for sale in March but wheels are moving more slowly.

Wicab targeted four countries: Germany, Sweden, Italy and the United
Kingdom. A demonstration project with 10 people is underway in Germany;
distributors have been found in Sweden and Italy, but Italian officials
still need to give their OK; and a U.K. distributor is still being sought,
Beckman said.

In the U.S., Wicab submitted an application with the Food and Drug
Administration earlier this year and Beckman said he hopes to get a decision
in early 2014.

Meanwhile, Wicab has received a $1.5 million, two-year grant from the U.S.
Army to study the use of the BrainPort V100 in people who have been blinded
as a result of a traumatic injury.

The company, founded in 1998 based on the research of the late UW-Madison
professor Paul Bach-y-Rita, has 10 full-time and part-time employees.

- - -
Visit the hottest, most happening place around on the web. Where the blind
community will be inspired and entertained!
It's the BlindCafe.net and it's a great place to learn, laugh, chat and make
long lasting friendships with people from around the world.
There is always someone to greet you with a friendly smile night and day. It's
totally free! Come and try out our awesome stereo    music rooms, trivia
games, Chess Chats, Act in one of our Mystery Plays, Share your talent with
us, receive I-Phone Lessons and updates, we offer     tutorials on an array
of programs, we have over 600 described movies for you to listen to at your
convenience, Revisit a classic described T V show such as Leave it to
Beaver, Mash, Alf, Andy Griffith, Bonanza, Brady Bunch, dragnet,  Gilligan's
Island, Green Acres, Jefferson's, Little House on the Prairie, The Munsters,
W.K.R.P in Cincinnati, The Walton's    and many more television programs!
Or just come on in anytime 24 / 7 and join us for an interactive chat and a
whole lot more!
It's completely free, totally accessible and easy to use.
For more info, please Visit us at
www.BlindCafe.net
That's
www.BlindCafe.net
It's the site where our members matter the most!