[Nfbf-l] NFBF 2014 convention announcement

Sherri flmom2006 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 22:49:38 UTC 2013

http://nfbflorida.org/upcoming/convention-2014.htm

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF FLORIDA

2014 STATE CONVENTION

on the Beach!

October 1, 2013

The 2014 State Convention of the National Federation of the Blind of Florida
(NFBF) is fast approaching. We hope you

will make your plans early to be present for a fabulous fun-filled and
educational gathering in Daytona Beach,

Florida.

The convention will be held over the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Weekend:

Friday through Monday, January 17 - 20, 2014

at the

Daytona Beach Resort & Conference Center

2700 North Atlantic Avenue

Daytona Beach, Florida 32118

We are excited about the various activities we have on the agenda for
convention attendees. You will have the
opportunity to participate in general sessions as well as an array of timely
seminars and special interst discussion
groups, ranging from division meetings to tutorials focusing on the latest
in electronics, new products for the
blind, and other topics.

We plan to have our usual fast-moving Auction . N umerous items of adaptive
equipment will be on display in our
Exhibition Hall, and our annual Banquet is always an event that everyone
looks forward to attending.

Convention activities start Friday evening , with an open meeting of the
NFBF Board of Directors, the NFBF
Resolutions Committee meeting, and other not-to-be-missed surprises.

This year, General Sessions begin on Saturday morning, January 18, and are
expected to feature addresses from
respected governmental officials and representatives from agencies such as
Social Security and the Division of Blind
Services, along with a variety of other dynamic speakers. General Sessions
continue on Sunday and Monday mornings.
Saturday and Sunday afternoons will feature seminars on many informative
topics, such as transportation,
legislation, technology, guide dogs, senior concerns, and other timely
topics relating to blindness.
There will also be an array of seminars for parents of blind and visually
impaired children on Saturday and Sunday
afternoons, and kids will be treated to their own convention and teen
activities during this time. The Exhibition
Hall will open Friday evening and Saturday and Sunday afternoons. A
Hospitality Reception and Auction will take
place Saturday evening.

Childcare will be available for the Convention and will require an
additional registration. For details, go to this

website: www.nfbflorida.org/childcare2014.htm or call 1-800-603-8578 .

On Sunday evening, we invite you to join us for our annual NFBF Banquet. A
representative from the NFB's National

Headquarters will provide a banquet address you will not want to miss.
Immediately following, the 2014 Student

Scholarship winners will be presented.

On Monday, January 20, we will have a special commemoration in honor of Dr.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Our final

business session will follow. At this time elections will be held and
resolutions voted upon, and other Federation

business will be conducted.  The convention will conclude at 11:00 AM

It pays to pre-register! Prior to convention the registration. the fee is
$15.00 and the banquet tickets are $35.00
each. The registration and the banquet fee will each increase by $5.00 on
January 3, 2014. So it is important that
we receive your payment by that date in order to qualify for the special
registration and banquet package discount.
Don't wait for the end of the year � send your Convention Registration in
today!

To make your room reservations, please call the Daytona Beach Resort &
Conference Center at 1-877-644-3239. When
calling, ask for the National Federation of the Blind of Florida Convention
room rate (code NTLBlind) of $74.00,

plus tax, per night for rooms with a King Bed, and $84.00, plus tax, per
night for rooms with two double beds.

Suites are $104.00, plus tax, per night.  Rooms are reserved on a first-come
first-served basis. Your room
reservation must be made by January 3, 2014 to guarantee our special hotel
rate. Call early, while rooms are still

available. They could sell out before the cut-off date!

Use the form available by clicking here to register for the convention and
banquet. Please use a separate form for

each person, so feel free to make copies or download additional forms.

If you have questions, please feel free to contact NFBF Treasurer Gloria
Mills Hicks at: treasurer at nfbflorida.org or

by calling 1-866-342-5080 or e-mail me at president at nfbflorida.org .

We hope to see you in Daytona Beach in January for the best NFBF Convention
ever!

Sincerely,

Dan Hicks, President