[Nfbf-l] Speed of sight: The world's fastest blind daredevil

Sherri flmom2006 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 15:19:01 UTC 2013

Wow! This is interesting!
Sherri

Speed of sight: The world's fastest blind daredevil
By James Masters, CNN
updated 7:26 AM EDT, Thu October 31, 2013
 Mike Newman broke the blind land speed record by driving at an average
speed of 186mph in September 2013. On November 1 he will try to break the
blind water record in a powerboat off the English coast.
 Newman, 52, was born with glaucoma and lost his sight at the age of eight.
Newman drove a Porsche GT2 to break the record of Turkish pop star Metin
Senturk, who managed speeds of 182 mph driving a Ferarri F430 in 2010.
 Newman was directed around the track at Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground,
Leicestershire, England, via radio link by his stepfather Michael who is a
driving instructor.
 Newman's dog Baxter will be on hand once again as his owner goes in search
of that elusive third and final record.
HIDE CAPTION
Speed of Sight
Petrol head
In the hot seat
Man's best friend
<<
<
 1
 2
 3
 4

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  a.. Mike Newman is hoping to break the blind water speed record on
November 1
  b.. The 52-year-old broke the blind land speed record last month
  c.. Newman was born with glaucoma and lost his sight at age of eight
  d.. Blind Water Speed currently held by former soldier Mark Threadgold at
91mph
(CNN) -- Ever imagined flying an airplane with your eyes closed? Or driving
at nearly 200 miles an hour with a blindfold? How about racing a speedboat
in complete darkness?

Sounds crazy? Well take off those blinkers and meet Mike Newman -- the
world's fastest blind daredevil.

On Friday, Newman will attempt to break the blind water speed record in a
powerboat just off the English coast and secure his place in history.

Being unable to see has proved no barrier to the 52-year-old who is aiming
to become the first man to hold the blind speed records for land, sea and
air in the same year.

Having already succeeded on four wheels and in the cockpit of an airplane,
it is just the sea which stands between him and sporting immortality.

What's behind Vettel's winning streak?

How do drivers get to F1?

Niki Lauda on F1's most dangerous years
Read: Is Vettel greatest ever?

"To hold all the records would be amazing," Newman told CNN, who is hoping
to reach speeds of 95 miles an hour in a top of the range powerboat.

"I first started riding motorcycles 12 years ago when I was pushing 40 and I
just went from there.

"I moved on to cars after that and I've loved it. People love all types of
different sports but for me it was always motorsport.

"I love the engines, the smells, the noises which come with it. I love all
the elements and just because I can't see, it doesn't detract from the
experience."

Newman's story is as rapid as it is remarkable.

Diagnosed with glaucoma as a child, Newman lost his sight at the age of
eight.

But it was not until some years later that he began his love affair with
speed -- breaking blind land records on land and in the air.

Read: Formula One's appetite for dieting drivers

It was 12 years ago that he first attempted to break a record -- riding a
motorcycle at 89 mph after just three days practice.

He twice broke blind land speed records in 2003 and 2005, improving from
144mph to 175mph in the space of two years.

In October 2011 he achieved the world blind aerial aerobatic record; flying
the most consecutive loops in formation.

I love the engines, the smells, the noises which come with it. I love all
the elements and just because I can't see, it doesn't detract from the
experience.
Mike Newman
A five times Guinness World record holder, there isn't much Newman can't do.

His charity is now helping others to overcome their difficulties through
racing with his team having recently designed and built ten specially
adapted track cars boasting dual controls, twin steering wheels.

"The main point of all of this is to make sure that people who aren't able
to have these opportunities get that chance," added Newman.

"The charity is doing a great job and although we're only quite young we've
made great progress.

"I can't believe the amount of attention we've had. Hopefully it will
continue for a while yet."

There will be hundreds of people present for Newman's latest record attempt
with television cameras, journalists and photographers all ready to capture
the moment.

His exploits have made him into something of a celebrity -- a tag of which
he's not too keen on.

That he is blind is not an issue to him -- what everyone else thinks is up
to them.

"Whatever I attempt, I do it in my own environment," Newman told CNN.

"If I get on the bus, go to the post office or the supermarket, I'm doing it
in my own environment and it's normal for me.

"Being blind doesn't stop me doing things. I don't really think about being
a role model or if I've broken down barriers. I'm just doing this to help
other people in life."

John Galloway, the team principal, has worked with Newman for over a decade
and has watched his friend and colleague meet each challenge head on without
showing an ounce of fear.

Being blind doesn't stop me doing things. I don't really think about being a
role model or if I've broken down barriers. I'm just doing this to help
other people in life.
Mike Newman
"I have known Mike for over 11 years now and never met someone with such
self belief," Galloway told CNN.

"He has a driving ambition to chase his dreams and able to catch them. He is
a great example to all of us."

Read: Vettel clinches fourth straight world title

Newman will now turn his attention to breaking the blind water speed record
and become the first man to hold all three records at the same time.

Former soldier Mark Treadgold currently holds the record of 91mph but Newman
is confident he can surpass that achievement when he hits the water at
Torque Harbor, Devon, on England's south west coast.

Newman will be assisted by Andrew Langdon, who owns the race boat Silverline
and will offer navigational assistance through helmet to helmet radio
communication.

The team believes he can reach 95mph if conditions allow -- a result which
would see him become the first man to hold the land, air and sea record in
the same year.

"It would be amazing if we could do it," added Newman.

"It's really exciting and I cannot wait for it to happen."

Sherri

Character is the side of yourself you choose to show the world.
Integrity is what you do, what you say and how you act when you think no one
is paying attention.
Sherri Brun
NFBF Newsline Chair
flmom2006 at gmail.com