[Nfbf-l] Question About Our local vehab Center

Darlene Laibl-Crowe dlaiblcrowe at att.net
Fri Aug 29 16:05:08 UTC 2014

Roanna,

I went to the rehab center in 2001 to determine what types of services I
would require.  This was only for two weeks evaluation.

Since I had been previous employed for several years before I lost my
vision, I pass everything that they tested me on...they (DBS) offered for me
to attend the terminology class or go to college at their expense.    Since
I had a 10 year old son at home which I owned (still own), I did not feel
comfortable living in Daytona and attending the terminology classes nor did
I think I could do it because of my hearing impairment.

So I chose to go to my local college.  I began college January 2004 and
completed my bachelor's degree in May 2007...and I've yet to find a job.

When I went to the rehab center, I had central vision and could see to read,
write and read lips to accommodate for what I could not hear.  Since my
vision loss was progressive, it didn't really affect me too much until later
when I began to lose central vision.  I struggled and finally got the
opportunity to attend the Helen Keller National Center in New York for 8
months of training.  I am very grateful that I did, because I learned much
about what I needed to know for my dual sensory loss.

So as for the rehab center or for Conklin center in Daytona I don't know
what the training is like.  I've heard mixed comments about both.  What I
would suggest for anyone is to take the time to know what you need and be
the leader of your traiing team.  Know the options and choose wisely.  This
will help you to be able to self-advovcate.

Now that you will be almost done with college, I don't knowwhat level you
will complete, I would highly suggest that you go on for your Masters and
possibly Ph.D, you will get more experience in your specific field this way.
I wish when I graduated with my Bachelor's in 2007 that I had gone on but
now I am at the stage where it would not be best for me.  I am too old.

I do a lot of coordinating and administrative work along with grant writing
for various organizations and I advocate voluntearily.  While doing that I
am hoping to network and get a job...unfortunately, my age is playing a
factor in the hiring process alogn with the Deaf Blindness.  So I do what I
can.

This is why I am writing to you and to those who are young and reading
this...GOALL you can and you will succeed.  Be the leader of Your  own
goals!  Don't expect the counselors or teacher to tell you what you need to
know...speak up and ask questions.  No question is dumb...there is an old
adage "Never ventured, never gained"  You never know until you ask!!

Good luck Roanna!
(smile)
Darlene