[Nfbf-l] Fw: [Flagdu] NBC New show premiering about growing up with a guide dog...

Patricia A. Lipovsky plipovsky at cfl.rr.com
Fri Feb 28 15:48:32 UTC 2014

Hi all.

I must say, I did see the show, and was not impressed with it, but instead,
a little concerned.  I do plan on watching it a second time though, just to
affirm my initial reaction.  I personally didn't find anything humorous
about it either, but that's just me.

One of the things I am concerned about is how his dog is openly fed table
food.  Personally, I think taking this lightly is risky business.  In
thinking outside of the box, I think it is very important that we consider
the perception of the general public.  Although I do understand some of you
view the show as the main focus as being about a blind person going through
a divorce, and thinking feeding his dog is secondary to this focus, There
are many people throughout the United States who may be viewing this show
who no nothing about guide dogs and how they work, thus thinking our guide
are treated the same as pets, and feeding them table food is ok. .  We all,
as handlers, know that a guide dog should never be fed table food.  The fact
that some handlers choose not to obey this golden rule is irrelevant.  We
are all taught through our training when we are in class, that this is
definitely not a good idea, and know this is one of the big "no no."  To
make light of the fact that this is being portrayed as something normal and
ok in this show bothers me.  Again, I will say, we should consider the
perception of the general public, and the power of subliminal messages.

I, as well as many of you I'm sure, have had people try to feed some sort of
table food to your dog one time or another.  Harmless as this might have
been, it is usually due to a lack of knowledge.  Some of us may use this as
an opportunity to educate, explaining that this was inappropriate, and
should never be done, others may not.

Personally, I take owning a guide dog seriously.  For me, being a guide dogs
user for many years, When Gertie and I are out in public, It is a continuous
education no matter what we are doing, whether she is sitting at my side
behaving herself, or navigating through tables in a restaurant, the general
public is always watching.  I feel it is my duty, when presented with an
opportunity, to educate anyone unfamiliar with guide dogs and their proper
practices.  It is my concern, as minor as it may seem to some of you, that
this show can taint the image of guide dogs in general, and the hard work
that goes into the training they receive.

Just my two sense.  Thanks for reading.