[Nfbf-l] new to list

Darlene Laibl-Crowe dlaiblcrowe at att.net
Tue Jan 14 15:43:58 UTC 2014

Hello, Lenora!

Yes, that was me.  I believe we did meet during that event.  I am still very
active in FDBA and its Florida Support Service program (FSSP) and it is
progressing nicely.  See www.fldeafblind.org to read more.

I am also involved in my local community with a focus group called Eye on
Acceissibility that we formed to help alleviate barriers for those who live
in Putnam Coutny with vision loss.  We've accomplished much in the past six
months since creating the group.   We have a logo in which a blind person is
walking with a white cane in the pupil of an eye.  I am encouraging this
group to join NFB as well, especially the Statewide Chapter as my community
is not close to any of the chapters.

I was also appointed by Governor Rick Scott to the Florida Coordinating
Council for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (www.fccdhh.org) as an individual
representing Deaf Blind Floridians.  I am not perfect and fairly new to the
Deaf Blind world (2010) and have learned much as I continue to diligently
advocate for myself and therefore helping others by paving the way for them.

I am also a member of the Statewide Chapter and currently serving as Vice
President on that board.  Being part of the NFB has been very interesting
and I've learned a lot.   I hope to continue to grow and work with others as
a team to accomplish the goals of NFB.

I hope to share some information about FDBA/FSSP and FCCDHH for those who
have combined hearing and vision loss.  I believe it is crucial that we work
together to gain the best resources possible to enhance the lives of the
blind and/or deaf; on the job, in school and in their community.

Now I will step off of my soap box (smile) and I do graciously appreciate
your warm welcome!

Darlene